Johnson wins Mr. HBCU

Johnson is the first Mr. A&T to win this competition following first runner up and top five performances from Austin James, Todd Porter and Jordan Brunson, all former Mr. A&T’s.

N.C. A&T students and alumni flooded social media timelines as Reginald Johnson, Mr. A&T, was crowned Mr. HBCU at the 2013 Mr. HBCU pageant in Jefferson City, Mo. Saturday night.

“I feel honored. It is a blessing and a rewarding feeling to know that you came back victorious for what you set out to do,” said Johnson. The senior professional theatre major brought back three titles from this year’s competition including Mr. Congeniality, Mr. Talent and of course, Mr. HBCU.

He competed against seven other school including Bowie State, Winston Salem State University, Central State, and University of Maryland of Eastern Shore. Johnson expressed that he was familiar with all the contestants from past years representing class kings at their respected universities.

“It is humbling because the guys in the competition were all so deserving. It was a showcase of black excellence of men doing positive things,” he said.

The formal name for the pageant is HBCU Kings Leadership Conference and Competition. Johnson participated in five categories including oratory, talent, formal wear, congeniality and overall.

He was the only participant to dance in the talent portion, and he felt that gave him an edge in winning that title. “I think it was something that they [had] never seen before,” said Johnson. He is a trained classical dancer in many styles and he put together a montage of Caribbean, afro-fusion with classical and technical mix dancing to speeches of Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X and President Barack Obama. “It was a wow factor in seeing a strong male dancer with technique and ability, so I guess that is what pushed me over the edge.”

On Feb. 16, Johnson presented his fellow Aggies with a preshow of his talents that he took to Missouri in part of preparation for this competition of the Mister A&T Farewell event that was held in Harrison. Along with Gentlemen’s Week, he was practicing with director of Student Government, Jasmin McInnis two weeks prior going to the competition.

“I knew he would win,” said McInnis. “I have known Reggie since he was a freshman and he has always possessed a spirit of excellence,” he added. McInnis emphasized that Johnson has demonstrated that black men at HBCU’s are one many agents of our survival and that he has shown A&T has a brand that is uncompromised.

Within this experience, Johnson expresses that this win was not just for self recognition but the brilliance of African American males coming together and creating a positive outlook is developing a legacy overall.

“It’s not about self-

but when you think of the overall picture of the university and what you do, then a legacy will create itself,” he said. He sees this as an opportunity to celebrate with A&T. “This is for all the kings, this is for A&T and those who have come before me,” said Johnson.

With a new title, among others previously won, Johnson is looking to help create opportunities for African American males like himself and the other HBCU kings also known as, “The Great 8” will be dedicating their time to HBCU relevancy. Also, they look forward to unifying schools in an educational setting.

“It is a huge responsibility, and I feel now that I am obligated not just for A&T but also for all HBCUs to find a way to bring all of us together,” he said.

The Great 8 has many projects in the works such as developing unity among HBCUs and starting a foundation where they all raise scholarship funds for males who represent leadership and service to their community. “The sky is the limit,” Johnson said.

• Erik Veal, Editor-in-Chief