Racing pro offers her tips for safe summer driving

(ARA) – Something about warm weather brings out the “road warrior” in many of us. Whether we’re just shuttling the kids to and from camp, taking off on a weekend road trip or motoring our way to the family summer vacation destination, many of us – especially mothers – end up logging enough warm weather driving hours to daunt a long-haul trucker.

Americans drive more during summer, and women are the primary drivers of their children throughout the year, numerous studies show. While higher gas prices may make some people curtail unnecessary driving, many of us will still need to be on the road for required trips. With more people likely to be in the car this summer, you may be looking for ways to make your warm weather driving as safe and enjoyable as possible.

Nicole Lyons, professional NHRA racer, and one of the stars of the new Speed original series “Car Warriors” (airing 8 p.m. EST on Wednesdays), offers mothers and anyone else on the road this summer some advice:

Take care of your tires

“Winter months can put a lot of wear and tear on tires,” says Lyons, who operates Cole Muscle Cars in California, and whose role on “Car Warriors” is to work on the engine and mechanical structures of the cars built on the show. “The extreme cold of winter, followed by the extreme heat of summer can put tires at risk. Tires are the point where your car meets the road, so you need to be sure they’re in good condition for summer driving.”

Check tires to ensure there’s no cracking or bubbling, and be sure to examine the inside of the tire that you don’t normally see.

Pay attention to your vehicle’s gauges, including oil pressure, water temperature and engine temperature. Overheating can be a problem in warmer months, and gauges can help alert you to a problem before it turns into a breakdown.

Avoid distraction and obstruction

“People are way more relaxed during warm weather driving, but you shouldn’t allow relaxation to turn into distraction,” Lyons cautions.

Stay off the phone, even hands-free models – cell phone use is a top cause of distracted driving accidents. When driving kids, it can be hard to avoid distraction, but if things get too rowdy or the children really need your attention, pull off the road in a safe place and address their needs, Lyons advises. “Don’t take your eyes off the road to turn around and see what the kids are up to.” And if you do have to stop along the highway for any reason, be sure to check your mirrors before pulling back out onto the road, because other drivers may be distracted and may not see you on the shoulder.

Likewise, be sure you have a clear line of sight through your vehicle’s windows and mirrors. Don’t make your blind spots any bigger by overloading your back seat or cargo area with camping gear, sports gear or other stuff you can’t see over, Lyons says.

Stay in tune with the road, your car and traffic

“When it gets really hot out, asphalt roads can get an oily factor that makes them slick,” Lyons says. “If you hit one of those spots, it can feel like you’re driving on black ice.” Be aware of the road surface you’re driving on. Asphalt can react to heat and cause hazardous conditions. Concrete road surfaces can be very noisy and distracting.

Be in tune with your vehicle, too, she advises. “If you hear your car making an unusual noise, or feel a difference in the steering wheel, get it checked out. They’re signs that something could be wrong with your car.”

And finally be in tune with the flow of traffic – and slow down. “We all have a tendency to want to open up the throttle and enjoy ourselves in summer,” Lyons says. “But I’m safer going 100 mph on a racetrack in my race car than someone who speeds on the highway in their family vehicle. Those cars are not made to withstand high-speed crashes like race cars are.”