Intramural girls basketball team wins first national championship

A&T won when it mattered most holding off a second half surge to beat ECSU and capture the women’s intramural national title with a 40-34 championship game victory.

Elizabeth City State won the first match-up of the weekend in a low scoring 36-18 victory over N. C A&T in pool play.

But A&T won when it mattered most holding off a second half surge to beat ECSU and capture the women’s intramural national title with a 40-34 championship game victory.

N.C. A&T used tough defense to stifle the Vikings throughout the first half.

The Aggies took an early 11-7 lead and held a small cushion through the first three quarters of the game.

Elizabeth City mounted an impressive comeback in the second half, pulling even at 27 on two free throws from Ayanna Wilson with 10:27 remaining in regulation.

A three-pointer from Wilson gave Elizabeth City its first lead at 30-29 with 9:30 remaining. The teams traded buckets and a one-point lead until Tiffany White hit a three-pointer to give A&T a 34-32 edge. But, Mariah Powell tied the game on a jumper with 6:00 minutes left.

A&T’s White hit a driving lay-up and added a free throw to convert the three-point play and give the Aggies a 38-34 lead with 3:15 remaining.

Then A&T turned up the defensive pressure, limiting Elizabeth City’s opportunities and keeping the Vikings off the scoreboard the rest of the way, in the 40-34 A&T win.

The Aggies’ Tierra Thomas was named women’s IM tournament MVP and joined by teammate Tiffany Williams on the All-Tournament Team.

ECSU’s Mariah Powell was named an All-Tournament Team member.

This article was contributed by Xavier Carrington, director of intramural sports.

[email protected] and follow us on Twitter @ATRegister

• Xavier Carrington, Contributor