Caribbean vacations that go beyond the ordinary

Any destination can be experienced in an almost unlimited number of ways. Every traveler is only limited by his imagination and what he and his companions are comfortable with. Nevertheless, sometimes destinations get pigeonholed, and develop limited reputations that don’t begin to scratch the surface of what they really have to offer.

The islands of the Caribbean probably bring to mind sandy beaches, cruises, resorts and strong, fruity drinks. While each of those things has its appeal, even in combination, they don’t provide a full picture of how much Caribbean vacations have to offer to travelers of all stripes.

Consider Jamaica. The island is justifiably famous for its all-inclusive resorts that take care of everything, letting you relax and forget all your cares. But for travelers who like to plan everything themselves and go wherever the wind takes them, the island nation offers plenty of adventure.

Try visiting places like the semi-autonomous mountain village of Accompong, inhabited by descendants of the Maroons (slaves freed by the Spanish as they left the island) and where local artisans specialize in traditional crafts like making goombay drums. The Appleton Rum Estate also provides an interesting excursion – and some tasty sampling.

Jamaica’s natural beauty doesn’t stop at its pristine beaches – it stretches far inland. The Blue Mountains, in addition to being the growing location of some of the world’s best coffee, offer dramatic views and exciting hikes through lush tropical forests. Or take a boat ride up the Black River to view the mangroves and marshland of the Great Morass – a great place to view crocodiles in the wild. Many Jamaica hotels offer assistance in planning excursions to villages and natural wonders.

Another popular Caribbean destination – Puerto Rico – is understandably appealing to American travelers. With cheap flights to Puerto Rico readily available, it’s easy to reach and a commonwealth of the United States. But ease of travel isn’t the only reason to consider a visit to the island.

To have an utterly transporting vacation, you shouldn’t miss the opportunity to immerse yourself in Old San Juan. Its cobbled streets are perfect for strolling and simply admiring the colorful, regal beauty of the city’s colonial architecture. The wrought iron detailing and elaborate moldings give an air of Old World elegance that’s unmatched anywhere in the U.S. Puerto Rico hotels are sometimes housed in these atmospheric old buildings, making for a unique stay.

No matter what kind of traveler you are, you can arrange everything right on the Web, ensuring that you won’t have to worry about anything on arrival. Sites like Travelocity.com allow you to design vacation packages or to buy flights to Jamaica or Puerto Rico and reserve hotel rooms and car rentals however you’d like. Making the effort to see the unexpected side of Caribbean destinations will pay off in great travel memories.