“Black Nativity” has a fresh look

Black Nativity was a very exhilarating show. I don’t know exactly how the past shows have been directed but what I do know is that this one was incredible.Most holiday productions bring you the same music, lines and scenery every year. Well, the Richard B. Harrison Players proved to everyone that the chances of that happening with “Black Nativity” are slim to none. Miller Lucky Jr., the director, put together almost a brand-new show with a little something for everyone. The Pit, comprised of Tenille Foust, Lorial Smith and Greg Drumwright, helped the show achieve its musical glory along with the cast and crew.The show opened with Tony Steele, musical director Jared Boyd, Osei Appiagyei and Greg Henders preparing music for the opening of the show. Even though Steele and Boyd have been into music for over 20 years, they still knew what kind of new flavor to bring to this production.. Also joining in was 16-year-old Henderson, a junior from Southwest High School. He and Appiagyei played with magnum force. The musical portion and the performances of the actors and actresses overcame the many problems with the sound. The scenery was well-crafted by Keon Speller.The prologue had a story being told to the church youth by “Sister Erika Boyd,” played by Shemida Gill. There was a dynamic opening with “Aye Mo Denambe.” People were dancing and jumping to celebrate the new arrival.Rondrell McCormick blessed the audience with “We Expect You,” while awaiting the birth of Jesus. “No Room,” sung by Zonya Johnson, Lelund Thompson and Diatra Langford, captured many laughs from the audience. They sang about how there was no room for Mary and Joseph to have their baby, referring to hotels such as “Embassy, Best Western, Fairfield” and then said there was no room in “Holt, Haley, Scott A, B, C, D, E, F, G …” which really had everyone rolling.During “Search,” Mary and Joseph, played by Eric McBroom and Latasha Godbolt, gave a ground-breaking performance. They depicted the painful struggle of finding a place for Jesus to be born.The company showed tremendous energy with dance movements and screams and hollers during the birth.”No Good Shepherd Boy” brought a different side to hip-hop. The performers did just about every old school hip-hop dance, along with their own version of a shepherd’s rap flow. David Watkins, who played the Shepherd Boy, showed why he will be a rising star during the yeas as a Richard B. Harrison Player.On “Go Tell It on the Mountain,” the whole audience clapped and sang to the beat. “Sweet Little Jesus Boy,” performed by Johnson, Myneesha Miller and Godbolt, closed out Act 1 and warmed hearts by showing the audience the value of a mother’s love.The intermission was just enough time to calm down, begin to gather tissues and start drying your eyes.The effect of candles, the soothing voice of Jessica Edwards amidst the powerful sermon played by Thompson took “Silent Night” to a new level. Then, Godbolt broke out with “Precious Lord, Take My Hand,” and followed through with the help of vocalist Foust as the worshippers and congregation entered.”Now Behold the Lord” featured the Harris-Mintz Dancers, which brought back fond memories of praise and worship on Sunday mornings. Their performance was graceful and angelic. James Blocker and the rest of the congregation made it clear that right about now the audience should pull out their tissues.When Johnson started preaching and the choir started singing, I think everyone jumped into the spirit of Christianity and forgot that this was a production. Her performance was phenomenal. Johnson and the cast closed with “What God Has for Me,” “When the Saints Go Marching In” and “Joy to the World.” Dancer Sunshyne Gay, an A&T junior, said, “by the second act, I felt worn with the slavery, civil rights and contemporary scenes. I don’t feel exhausted, though, I just look forward to the next show.””Mr. Lucky made you get into what you were doing,” said Watkins. “It was more internal than external. I felt great during the show and it was professionally done.”Johnson, a junior, said, “It was a blessing to be a part of the show.””Black Nativity” is a show everyone should attend. Either you will get the true meaning of Christmas or be reminded why believers love God so much.The final performance is 8 p.m. Tuesday in the Paul Robeson Theatre.