Celebrity parents need to grow up!

Is it just me or do celebrity parents act as if they are lifetime players of the blame game?

Anything and everything negative that happens to their child is the fault of someone or something else. The latest parent to work my nerves with their inability to accept their short comings as a parent is Billy Ray Cyrus, father of former Disney Channel star and current pop artist Miley Cyrus.

In an interview with GQ Magazine, Cyrus said the Disney original show ‘Hannah Montana’ ruined his family, and it is because of the show that his daughter has spiraled out of control.

He compared her situation, which I feel is relatively mild, with Anna Nicole Smith and Micheal Jackson, who both passed tragically and unexpectedly. He said he is “scared for her” and “as her daddy [he’d] like to help her or get her out of danger.”

This really just irritates the mess out of me; Disney is not responsible for the actions of Miley, then or now, and he needs to point the finger at himself and his ex-wife.

As parents, it is your job to raise your children with the values and morals you want them to have. You instill within them the tools they need to be successful and if the job is done correctly you will not have to worry about your child changing or behaving improperly in certain situations.

Yes, your child is their own person and they will do what they want to do, but for the most part the voices of parents and the lessons they taught do not leave the back of their minds.

I understand there is a slightly different set of rules for entertainers, but their parents should be even more involved in their lives to keep them grounded, and on the right track.

If you ask any celebrity whose image is practically blemish free, like Raven Symone or Beyonce Knowles, one of the first things they acknowledge are the roles their parents play in their lives.

Cyrus has no excuse, especially since he was in the entertainment business himself. He knew what that life would mean for his child and he should have acted accordingly.

I have no sympathy for parents like him who wait until after the damage is done to complain, instead of being proactive from the beginning.

This interview was nothing more than an attempt to generate publicity considering he has a CD coming out this March and that is even more shameful.

This whole ordeal and others like it just proves that everyone is not meant to be a parent, and an even smaller pool of those parents should have celebrity children.

It is not privilege or a job that should be taken lightly because in the end the decisions children make are a reflection on you as a parent.

Before you question the actions of your child Mr. Cyrus, maybe you should see what you did or did not do to make her who she is.

• LaRia Land