Aggies get trampled by the Thundering Herd

On Sunday the North Carolina A&T men’s basketball team looked for its second win in three days when they traveled to Huntington, W.V. to play Marshall.

But after a tight first half, It Marshall  who pulled away with a 79-63 consecutive win over the Aggies.  It was 38-33 at the intermission and A&T shot 6-19 from behind the arc in a reachable game.

But the second half shooting woes plagued the Aggies as they watched the margin increase with their poor 1-11 three-point performance from the perimeter.

They finished the game just 7 -30 from three-point range and shot just 31 percent from the field.

“Their bench probably wore down my young kids,” said Eaves. “My young kids couldn’t quite handle the intensity of a Division I game on this level. That will come as they get more experience.”

Senior forward Robert Johnson led the team in scoring with 16 points while 6-foot-9 junior center Thomas Coleman recorded a double-double with 10 points and 13 rebounds. Marshall out-rebounded the Aggies 50-39 and dominated points in the paint 30-18.

It was a much better performance last Friday against Brevard College for the blue and gold.

The Aggies won their season home opener in convincing fashion 92-63. Five Aggies finished in double digits in scoring including senior guard Tavarus Alston’s 20 points and five assists and sophomore guard Nic Simpson’s game high of 21.

Sophomore Marc Hill added 11 points off of the bench and Johnson and Coleman combined for 28 points and 18 boards.

The game was lopsided in the Aggies favor as expected in the first half.

They finished the game shooting 38 percent from three-point range but were only 55 percent from the free throw line.

The Aggies were also 49-47 outrebounded in the game against Brevard as well.”When you get a little winded you’re not as aggressive on the glass,”said Eaves.A&T will play host to Davis & Elkins College on Friday at 6 p.m.

• Prince Askew