Ask a black guy

Is Valentine’s Day a mutual holiday? Why or why not?

Guy 1: Valentine’s day is a day for the girls to get whatever they want. What guy do you know that counts down until Valentines Day? I wish it was a mutual holiday, but no. I think the men deserve some tender love and care sometimes too.

Guy 2: I guess Valentine’s day is kind of a mutual holiday. Both people get something out of the deal. Usually for the guy it’s the company of a beautiful young lady and for the girls it’s the royal treatment and attention of a young man. Plus all the gifts and chocolate.

Guy 3: No! It is not a mutual holiday. I’ve been alive for 22 years and still have not got a Valentine’s Day gift and probably never will. Valentine’s day is just another secret plan to make me a hundred dollars broker than the day before. We need to make a day just for men so we can see how their pockets perform under pressure.

What is a reasonable spending amount for your Valentine? Explain.

Guy 1: I am not spending on nobody unless they plan on spending money on me, so zero. What people fail to realize is that as soon as Valentine’s Day is over a lot of these girls are going to get ghost on these dudes. Happened to me a long time ago. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Guy 2: It is not about the money, it is about the chance to show someone that you love or care for them just because you can. Money is temporary, but the memories of love and happiness last forever. Girls really appreciate when men treat them with respect and gratitude.

Guy 3: A quick $10 McDonalds or Taco Bell run seems to be enough love for one day. But seriously, a $20 dollar meal at an above average restaurant should make a college girl happy. But then again it depends on who you’re taking out. You have some females who want to eat dinner and desert. The money really should not even matter.

When you give a Valentine’s Day gift do you expect something in return or is it all love?

Guy 1: Yea, if I give a gift I am expecting some form of gift to be returned. I mean everybody knows what V-Day is an excuse for. And I know I am not the only one. We don’t have to go into detail, but nobody does it completely for the love. It is too materialistic.

Guy 2: It’s all love. I remember my first Valentine’s date in high school. I took my girl to Applebee’s with a $25 gift card I got as a birthday gift the week before. What could I have possibly expected in return?

Guy 3: I am expecting at least a kiss or something. I mean seriously, if I go all out and buy one of these girls some chocolate and some flowers and do not get a kiss I’m going to be mad salty. Can you blame me?

• Anonymous