Letter to the Editor

Hello, my name is Eboni Taylor and I am not quite sure whom I should be addressing this to. 

I read your new column “Ask a Black Guy” and it sparked a few questions for my friends and I. 

We read the question on why a black woman cannot find a good black man and Guy #2 stated that black women never know what they want and so on. 

Topics like this have come up countless times and the same answer has come up. 

Women ask what they have to do to attract good men and the answer always equates to some version of “be yourself.” Personally, I think that is the most ridiculous answer that could be given. 

When black women are “themselves” they get called “crazy.” 

I want to know why men never call us (black women), crazy when we are doing whatever the men ask of them. 

If we are giving them whatever they want, or not fussing at them for cheating on us, we are not crazy, we then become “sluts” but that is another story. 

Because black women are being strong and not taking any BS from these self-proclaimed “good black men,” we are deemed crazy and undesirable for marriage. What makes these men think they are some great prize to be won? 

I don’t know many women that say, “I want to marry a guy that statistics deems uneducated, most likely to be unfaithful, most likely to not take care of their kids, and most likely to populate the jail system. Yep that is the guy for me!” 

Apparently some guys think they became more desirable when Obama was voted into office. Yeah right. 

My main question is how should a black woman be, so they are not called crazy, deemed “worthy” enough for black men, and desirable without being considered sluts? 

I want to know if a “black man” can answer this question since “black men” are the main ones that keep saying black women need to change. I am so tired of hearing the same played out answers. 

I think someone should man up and give a straight answer, especially if they are “man enough” to complain. 

In this rant, I am not bashing all men, because there are plenty of good men out there. I just felt this issue really needed to be addressed. 

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Sincerely,

Eboni Taylor

• Eboni Taylor