Riding escalators: a summer safety reminder

(ARA) – Whether traveling on vacation or staying home, the summer means more time spent out and about. With activities ranging from swimming at the local pool to attending festivals, amusement parks and sporting events, people are visiting new places and new buildings.

The Elevator and Escalator Safety Foundation (EESF) and the National Elevator Industry, Inc. (NEII) remind people to ride safely when using building transportation. NEII and EESF together promote escalator safety rules and encourage building and equipment owners to make riders aware of them.

“Escalators are an extremely safe form of transportation,” says Barbara Allen, executive director and spokesperson for EESF. “They transport more than 300 million people in North America daily. However, it’s always important to follow simple safety guidelines and adults, especially, should supervise and set a good example for their children.”

Some tips for a safe ride:

When entering escalators:

* Watch the direction of the moving step and step on and off with extra care.

* Take care if you are wearing bifocals or similar eyewear.

* Hold children firmly with one arm or hold child’s free hand.

* Hold small packages firmly in one hand, but always leave one hand available to hold the handrail.

* Grasp the handrail as you step onto the moving step.

* Do not go in the opposite direction of the escalator.

* Do not take wheelchairs, electric scooters, strollers, hand carts, luggage carts or similar items on the escalator.

When riding escalators:

* Keep loose clothing clear of steps and sides.

* Wear closed-toed and hard-soled shoes, and avoid wearing footwear made of soft-resin or other rubbery materials.

* Stand clear of the sides of the escalator.

* Face forward and hold handrail for the entire ride.

* Reposition your hand slowly if the handrail moves slightly ahead or behind the steps.

* Don’t rest any items or parcels on the handrail or lean against the sides.

* Don’t climb onto or ride the handrail.

* Do not let children sit on steps or stand too close to sides.

* If children are too small to hold handrail, or holding the handrail pulls them close to the side of the escalator, hold their hand and keep them centered on the step.

When exiting escalators:

* Don’t hesitate and step off promptly.

* Make sure to step over the comb fingers; don’t let your feet slide off the end of the escalator.

* Immediately move clear of the escalator exit area; don’t stop to talk or look around since other passengers may be behind you.

For more information about escalator safety, visit the NEII Web site at www.neii.org, or the EESF Web site at www.eesf.org. The EESF Web site offers online interactive safety programs for both children and adults.

Courtesy of ARAcontent