Letter from the Editor-in-Chief

To our loyal and supportive readers: Last week in the twenty fourth issue of The A&T Register the article written by register reporter Chelsea King titled “Ms. A&T Showcases Soulful Artists,” which ran on page eight (theSCENE), contained information that was fabricated and inaccurate.

Specifically, the article referenced the band “Beautiful Experience,” stating that after a long wait, the band took the stage and played two songs as the crowd swayed from side to side.

The article also featured quotes referring to the event from both participants and event planners that were also inaccurate.

While “Beautiful Experience” did actually arrive in Greensboro, the band never took the stage to perform because they arrived too late to perform at the program as was scheduled. Additionally, the contract between the Student Government Association and

“Beautiful Experience” was cancelled as a result.

The actions taken by Ms. King in the construction of this article not only violate the constitution of The A&T Register, but also the Code of Ethics for the Society of Professional Journalists, which The A&T Register uses as its ethics policy.

As a result of these actions, Ms. King is no longer a reporter for The A&T Register and all of the articles Ms. King has written for The A&T Register are currently under an internal fact checking audit.

She has been fired for the remainder of the 2010 academic year. This matter has been embarrassing for all of us at The A&T Register, and we apologize to all of our readers for this isolated lapse in our promise to all of you to deliver strong, honest, ethical, and responsible quality journalism.

We are currently re-examining our fact checking policies and our ethics training to ensure that this does not happen again.

A good newspaper brings you the facts, but a better newspaper admits when they are wrong or a mistake has been made.

The A&T Register prides itself upon its openness and honesty, and we welcome any and all feedback from all of our readers.

Just as we have never hidden anything from you before, we will not begin to do so now.

We commit ourselves to delivering nothing less than the highest quality of journalism we can provide, and dedication to our standards and to the Code of Ethics.

A retraction of this article will be made, and a corrected version will appear on our website on Wednesday, and we will also note the corrections on page two of this weeks paper.

Thank you for your continued support. 

• Dexter R. Mullins