King of the city

Blue and gold faithful filled the Greensboro Coliseum Nov. 29 as UNCG played host to their cross-town rivals A&T.

The Aggies played well in an atmosphere unlike that of Corbett Sports Center and came away with an 82-70 win.

It was mostly Spartan fans in the crowd of 4,192 with just a few Aggies sprinkled in.

The media filled the sidelines and the flashbulbs popped to catch a glimpse of the first game between these two schools since UNCG beat the

Aggies 85-67 on Jan. 16, 2002.

Each team jostled for the lead for the first 10 minutes of the game.

It was not until UNCG forward Brian Cole knocked down a three that somebody controlled the game. 

The Spartans went up 24-21 and five points later held an eight-point lead. 

Nic Simpson’s four first half three-pointers kept the Aggies in the game; however, and the Aggies trailed just 40-43 at the half.

The second-half was played just as tight as the first half; however, the Aggies seemed to have more energy.

R.J. Buck’s tough layup while being fouled gave the Aggies their first lead in the second half with just over 13 minutes.

UNCG fought back and took a 65-66 lead about 6 minutes later; however, Thomas Coleman’s tip dunk off of a missed layup by Buck put the

Aggies back up 67-66.

They would pull away from there. 

Coleman finished the game with a career-high 20 points to go with 14 rebounds and three blocks.

Simpson scored 18.

The Aggies came into the game on a two-game win streak and fresh off of a 79-58 win over Greensboro College. 

They beat UNC-Wilmington on Nov. 23.

• Prince J. Grimes