Meet the Tate Administration

After the long process of election season, the 2012-2013 Student Government Association (SGA) Executive Board has been formed and the Tate Administration is ready to bring a sense of transparency to the university.

The executive board consists of rising senior architectural engineering major from Fayetteville, Allahquan Tate as President; rising junior agricultural business management major from Waverly, Va., Canisha Cierra Turner as Vice President of Internal Affairs; rising senior graphic communications major from Bennettsville, S.C., Patrick Malachi as Secretary; rising senior journalism and mass communications major from Winston Salem, Catherine Hamlin as Miss A&T; rising senior, theater major from Englewood, N.J., Reginald Johnson as Mr. A&T; and rising junior economics major from Durham, Ryan Marcus as Vice President of External Affairs.

Rising senior finance major from Chesapeake, Va., Desiree Simmons, returns as treasurer.

She is the only individual from the previous E-board who served in the Robinson administration.

Simmons gives advice to her new executive board members by saying, “make sure you manage your time and that you come in with an open mind,” said Simmons.

She continued that the new members have to come in with optimism.

“Stay on your grind at all times because this is for the students and the students is who you have to answer to.”

All the newly elected members have held previous positions within SGA.

Marcus held a senate position for the School of Business and Turner held a senate position for School of Agriculture; Malachi was the junior class secretary; Tate was the freshmen class president in 2009; Simmons was SGA treasurer for 2011-2012; and Johnson was Mr. Freshman for 2009-2010 and Mr. Sophomore for 2010-2011.

They all comprehend of the university’s constitution want to keep the students involved in all activities that go on within SGA.

“I want to bring back a sense of transparency between us and the student body,” said Tate.

I would like to bring back ‘Student Sundays’ and give updates to the students on what’s going on and display that we are here to serve them.”

Members of the E-board have gained experience that has geared them for their positions by learning from individuals who currently hold their respective positions.

Marcus interned under Chris Wade for the year and he feels comfortable and ready to pursue his role as the new VPEA.

He also has ways to make events for next year publicized in advance for the university to remain aware. “At times this year, programs were sent out too late and I want to change that by having a strong street team to help put out information about programs,” said Marcus.

Along with promoting events on campus, Turner wants to have heavy advertisements with flyers, social media and place ads within the A&T Register as well. “I want to encourage students to come out and promote the senate meetings in different places,” said Turner.

The E-board feels it is important to get to know individuals and create a personal relationship with the students. Though Johnson is not new to the “Mr.” title, he and Hamlin both have developed a great chemistry as a team and they have sat down to discuss the activities they both want to do next year. “We want to start an event called, “Touring with the Aggie Nation,” said Johnson. Within the tour, they both will go into dorms and interact with the students. “Communication is a must and we have to remain visible within the university and we must interact with students and get their feedback,” said Hamlin.

Since being elected into SGA office for 2012-2013, the E-board has already started compiling their activities and programs for next year and putting them into effect. “As far as programs, we want to incorporate not only ourselves…this is the first court that is not all Greek and it is not overshadowing everything,” said Johnson. “We want to really embody student life between us and them so we have detailed programs in store.”

Official plans and activities could not be disclosed, but everyone expressed their sincere desire to continue the legacy set forth by the previous E-board, specifically the heightened relationship between the e-board members and the student population.

[email protected] and follow him @_erikveal

• Erik Veal, Online Editor