McCain encourages Aggies at roundtable

Today students were urged to attend the student roundtable discussion with the A&T Four. This program was a chance for people to ask questions and for these men to share their feelings about the past and what they want to see done in the future.

In attendance at the discussion were neighboring elementary, middle and high schools such as, A&T’s sister school, Hampton Institute and Southern Guilford Middle School. A&T’s honored guests were appreciative and excited about the younger generation that were there. They continuously said that they held their faith for the future in their hands and that every question was welcome. The Hampton institute showed their appreciation to the A&T four by performing two selections.

After introductions were made, visiting students and A&T students alike were urged to ask questions and they did not hesitate.

Questions ranged from how the A&T Four felt when they were asked to move from their seats to what they feel is the biggest problem that African Americans face today and what they feel is the solution. When asked these questions, Franklin McCain was all too willing to answer them.  When asked to get up he said that he felt a feeling of utter defiance and he was determined not to get up.

His most passionate response was to the question about the problems that African Americans face today and their solutions. McCain was adamant that A&T students should do more when it comes to voting and the new regulations that have come into place concerning college students and out of state voting. He stressed that if no one stood up and took a stand that students would eventually lose the right to vote. McCain was disappointed that A&T students were watching this happen when the people of his time fought so hard to get that right.  

Throughout the program, important life lessons that the four learned through their experiences were taught to their eager listeners. These lessons included to never stereotype others, remember that people tend to fear what they don’t know and that anyone can make a difference. The guests stressed that they were ordinary people that had nicknames for one another, went to class, studied and played sports. The only difference is that they took a stand and ended up making history. 

• Ameera Vines