Enjoy your dessert, without the guilt

(ARA) – Ordering or serving a sweet follow-up to dinner is a tradition for many Americans. Pie, cake and ice cream are popular dessert options at restaurants and family dining tables across the country.

But if you’re trying to get in better shape or lose some weight, ending a meal with desserts that are high in calories might not be a great idea. No, you don’t have to skip dessert. Instead, try some of these healthier options:

* A fruit bowl: Fruit is naturally sweet, so you’ll target that sweet-tooth craving, without the additional calories of sugar or cornstarch added to baked desserts. And you can mix seasonal fruits from around the world at all different times of the year to keep this dessert choice colorful with many interesting different flavors.

* Low-calorie yogurt: Smooth, creamy texture and plenty of different flavors make this dessert option one to add to your healthy choice list. If you want to add additional healthy options to your yogurt, consider sprinkling in some fruit, oatmeal or granola. It’s a great way to top off a meal without going overboard.

* Cold-brewed tea: After finishing a wonderful meal, you often find yourself wishing for something to wash everything down. Serving cold-brewed tea is a great way to end the meal with a flavorful drink, and also promote your healthy lifestyle. Cold-brewing brings out the essence of the tea leaves, removing the bitterness that can form when tea is over-steeped. And having a glass after each meal will help you to slowly dissolve fat in your body.

Visit Teawan (www.Teawan.com) for cold-brewed tea bags and other high-quality tea products. These Oolong tea leaves are grown in Taiwan under abundant sunlight, mist, rainfall and with nutritious soil. They are natural and organic, and perfect for an after-dinner drink.

* Sugar-free popsicles or sherbet: If you’re craving cold and sweet, tantalize your taste buds with something from the freezer section. Make sure you purchase the sugar-free varieties of popsicles or sherbet – in any color – so you don’t add any unnecessary extra calories to your dinner.

The next time you sit down to a great meal, don’t fret over adding extra calories to your menu with dessert. Instead, with all of these ideas, all you have to do is worry about saving room for dessert.