Larger than life

By Randy St.ClairEditor-In-ChiefThe atmosphere was indescribable. The faces in the crowd, old and young, were filled with the spirit of happiness, overwhelmed with the spirit of love and touched by the spirits of four freshmen who refused to be denied the right of equality.The day signified honor, courage, love and respect for civil and human rights. The wind blew, the sun played peek-a-boo, yet there was a sparkle in the eye of all who saw this 15-foot monument standing in front of the Dudley Building, of Franklin McCain, Joseph McNeil, Jibreel Khazan and David Richmond, known as the A&T Four, not yet unveiled.About 30 minutes later after each man spoke, and thanked the N.C. A&T staff, faculty and students, the community joined to unveil the history made 42 years ago.”It’s amazing to see how Mr. (James) Barnhill envisioned something that already had a vision and make it come to life,” said Joseph Frierson, senior, political science major. “I recognize the hand of God in his life and in his work.”The bronze monument depicted the four A&T freshmen walking out of the F.W. Woolworth’s lunch counter, standing tall, with the look of confidence and with the heart of bravery.Provost Carolyn Meyers began the event, saying, “Forty-two years ago four freshmen at this university sat down so that we could stand up. By their chapter in history a new day in civil rights was written.”She continued, stating that the A&T Four “shaped the future we now enjoy.”Chancellor James C. Renick spoke immediately after Meyers. His words were poetic as he described the day in history that the four A&T freshmen took a stand against racial inequality.”I’m thankful that the A&T Four sat down, I’m thankful for the sacrifices made so that we may enjoy life, liberty and happiness. This is a day of history, love, celebration and thanksgiving,” said Renick.Hundreds of members of the community were on hand to see the historical event, to witness first-hand the unveiling of the monument sculpted by Barnhill.Barnhill spoke of his experience in sculpting something of this magnitude.”I begin by saying, ‘This is the day that the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it.’ The work that I’ve done was done first for the Lord,” he said. “I realized how big of a project this was when Chancellor Renick came by, on more than one occasion, and each time he said, ‘Do you know how big this thing is?’ After a few of those I knew I was fortunate to have the honor of sculpting an event like this.” Children, students and adults waited in anticipation to see the monument that took over a year to make. The moment finally came after the encouraging remarks of McCain.”When you see this monument, see it as an act of faith and think of the nameless and faceless people we’ve forgotten, the ones who picketed and walked,” he said. “When you look at this monument, color it black, white, yellow, red or brown. When you look at Jibreel Khazan, David Richmond, Joseph McNeil call them equality, freedom, vision and committment.”Mable Scott, assistant vice chancellor of university relations, asked the crowd to join the A&T Four in unveiling the covers that hid what people hoped was a magnificent piece of artwork unlike any other. What added to the memorable moment was, after hiding for several minutes, the sun began to shine and as soon as the covers went off the sun peeked its head aroud the clouds and basked on the bronze sculpture that seemed larger than life.Eyes gazed and the crowed cheered, shouting “Aggie Pride! Aggie Pride!” In the background the A&T Gospel Choir sang the school’s alma mater, “Dear A&T.” Joan Jefferies, an active member of the community and an employee in A&T’s minority student affairs, was more than pleased with what she saw.”I enjoyed it very well,” she said. “It was a great experience and very moving. The monument was a great representation of what the A&T Four.”