GHOE kicks off with sold out shows

“font-family: ‘Times New Roman’; line-height: 14px;”>It’s been

deemed the ‘Greatest Homecoming on Earth’ and it has been proven by

the thousands of people who have flooded the streets of Greensboro

this week.

It’s been deemed the ‘Greatest Homecoming on Earth’ and it has been proven by the thousands of people who have flooded the streets of Greensboro this week.

Only four days into N.C. A&T’s homecoming, both the gospel and fashion shows have seen sold-out crowds, and it’s anticipated that today’s comedy show will follow suit.

“I’m pleased that these shows are moving,” said Ryan Maltese, the executive director for university events. ”I never anticipated the gospel show to sell like that.”

Slotted for Oct. 10 at Harrison Auditorium, which seats 905 people, the gospel show featuring duo Mary, Mary sold out on Sept. 10. Dissatisfied with the sell out, students voiced their concerns to representatives of the Student Government Association and the Student Union Advisory Board, resulting in a bigger venue.

Within days after student frustrations were heard, the announcement came that the show was moved to Corbett Sports Center, which seats 5,700 people.  Days before the concert, Mary,Mary tickets sold out for a second time.

“We knew it was going to sell out Harrison,” said Chris Wade, vice president of external affairs. “The fact it sold out Corbett when so many people thought it wouldn’t was truly amazing.”

Tuesday’s fashion show also had a spike in ticket sales. Dueling modeling troupes, Couture Productions and Verge Modeling Troupe put on their annual fashion show at the Carolina Theatre in downtown Greensboro. The show sold 900 tickets.

“People are excited about homecoming,” said Maltese. “Our goal is always to sell all tickets available.” Tonight’s comedy show starring Aries Spears, Lil Duval, and Gary Owens has hopes of selling out as well, according to Maltese. Almost 3,000 tickets have been sold thus far.

“When we started planning homecoming we tried to plan it geared toward students,” said Wade. “We feel an accomplishment that the students are thoroughly enjoying it thus far.” The step show, and concert are scheduled for the remainder of the week.

[email protected] and follow her on Twitter @Kelcie_McCrae

• Kelcie McCrae, Editor in Chief