Aggie Football Midterm Grades

Quarterback

The quarterback controversy between Carlton Fears and Lewis  Kindel has been on full display. Fears will remain the starter however. This grade would have been worse. Luckily, he had the game of his career last week against the Eagles throwing for 166 yards.

C-

Linebackers

This has been the core group  of guys that has kept the Aggies in games thus far this year. Actually it has been this group for the    past couple of years led by senior linebacker Andre Thornton that’s been the most consistent. Brandon Jackson has also made his presence known this year.

A-

Running Backs

With the departure of former Aggie great Michael Ferguson, this was a questionable group going into the season. But the young running back trio of Mike Mayhew, Tony Coales, and Dontavious Payne have stepped in and conservatively contributed despite that teams are adjusting.

B-

Wide Receivers

This group has also been inconsistent, but the times that they have  played well, it’s been an automatic victory. Sophomore Wallace Miles has separated himself from the group as the number one target and his 101-yard performace weighed heavily on this grade.

C

Offensive Line

Compared to last season’s pass protection, it’s been a major upgrade for the Aggies.  Fears and Kindle have had  time to throw the ball this year but the run-blocking hasn’t been jaw-dropping.  Maybe this explains why none of the running backs have eclipsed 100 yards this season.

C+

Defensive Line

With the Detroit three anchoring the line, the Aggies sure will mis this senior trio after this year. They have been significant  for the past three seasons and have accumulated five out of the team’s nine sacks. And even more importantly, they’ve made key stops in clutch situations.

B

Defensive Backs

They would have a higher grade if it wasn’t for the “big-play” moments. Like the struggles against Hampton’s wide receiver Damon McDaniel and North Carolina Central’s flanker Will Scott. But they’re averaging an interception a game and the pass coverage has been ok.

B

Special Teams

This was probably the toughest  grade to determine. Kicker Patrick Courtney has connected on just 40 percent of his field goals this season but is coming off a hernia surgery from this summer. We’re still trying to figure out this kid’s potential. But for now, it’s hard to notice.

D

Coaching

Credit is given where credit is due. Head coach Alonzo Lee has seemingly changed the attitude of the Aggies and it’s noticeable in press conferences in wins and losses. Lee stressed “rebuilding the legacy” and so far has cleaned part of the Lee Fobbs remains in his first year.

B

Overall

The Aggies are off to a 3-2 start, but not an impressive one. They have parts of their team that have improved and some that have deteriorated. With their upcoming conference schedule, consistency on every level of the team will be key if they expect to win another MEAC title.

C-

• Daniel Henderson