How to donate your car to charity

Maybe you’re just tired of it, maybe it’s no longer running, maybe you just don’t need it now that the kids are out of the house, or maybe you could really use the tax deduction – whatever the reason for wanting to donate a car to charity, you should know a few things in order to make that happen.

Car donations are very easy to make, and you can include your donation as a tax deduction, while supporting a charity of your choice at the same time. So what do you need to know and have on hand to make the donation happen?

At donateacar.com, you can fill out the car donation form, pick a charity to receive your donation, and a licensed, bonded and insured towing company will pick it up right from your driveway within 24 hours of you naming the charity you want it to benefit.

The form asks you the following questions:

* Is there any damage to the exterior or interior of the car?

* Is the car driveable?

* Do you have the certificate of title?

* Do you have the keys?

And even if you answer yes to the first question, and no to the following questions, it doesn’t always mean your car won’t be accepted as a donation. An operator can work with you to determine if donating your car is the best option for you. That’s all the effort that goes into donating your car. But make sure you keep the receipt for your tax records so you can claim the donation on your 2011 taxes.

You can list the fair market value of your vehicle (not to exceed $500) on your tax statement for that year for a nice deduction. If by chance, your vehicle sells for more than $500, you will receive a new receipt in the mail after the sale from Donateacar.com.

If you’re ready to get rid of the extra car hogging space in your garage or driveway, visit www.donateacar.com to donate car.