Cross Country team prepares for MEAC championship

North Carolina A&T defeated North Carolina Central University in the 2009 NCCU Cross Country Classic in Durham last Saturday.

Both the men’s and women’s teams were victorious at the meet in Forest Hill Park.Freshman Kristin Rush and Janessa Benn led the pack in the 5k-race.

Rush, who’s also a Greensboro Day graduate, finished the race first with a time of 19:19.93. Benn came in second with a time of 19:23.49. The Lady Aggies dominated the race taking three of the top five spots; Janee Cadlet’s time of 20:37.49 put her in fifth place. The trio helped lead the Aggies to a 33-23 win over the Eagles.

Although Eagles runner James Kukat came in first place, Aggies Steven Leggins, Vincent Alford, and Danzo Cephas took three of the top five positions in the 7k-race leading the men to a 22-33 win.

The top runner on the men’s side with a time of 26:05.91 was Steven Leggins. Leggins time earned him second place in the race.

Alford and Cephas came in third and fourth place respectively.

Next up for the Aggies is the 2009 MEAC Cross Country Championship in Princess Ann, MD.

The Championship meet had been postponed to this upcoming weekend after originally being scheduled for last weekend.

The top five finishes for men and women are as follows:

Women: 1.  Kristin Rush (NCA&T) 2. Jannessa Benn (NCA&T) 3. Desinia Johnson (NCCU) 4. Ashley Cooke (NCCU) 5. Janee Cadlett (NCA&T)

Men:1. James Kukat (NCCU) 2. Steven Leggins (NCA&T) 3. Eric Spears (Unattached) 4. Vincent Alford (NCA&T) 5. Danzeto Cephas (NCA&T)

• Sylvia Obell