NABJ to host panelists

The NABJ (National Association of Black Journalists) at North Carolina A&T will host a panel discussion event on Wednesday February 24 in General Classroom Building Auditorium.  This will be the first panel discussion, entitled “African Americans and the Changing Media Landscape.” 

The organization wanted to bring an event open to the rest of the campus about media and how it affects African Americans, and the role it plays in African American lives.

“We want it to be a two pronged discussion,” said NABJ President Malcolm Eustache. 

“On one hand we wanted it to educate people on how the media environment is changing for African-Americans, as both those who are doing the covering and as those who are being covered.”

Eustache expressed the interest in African-American news coverage during the election of President Barack Obama.

The Panelists includes Dexter Mullins (Editor of Chief), Ed Gordon, Sheeka Strickland, Allen Johnson, and Linda Williams.

Mullins will serve as the voice of young journalists. Mullins will bring a perspective of being a representative of the future of journalism.

Sheeka Strickland, reporter from FOX 8 News, which is based out of Winston- Salem, was president of NABJ when she attended the University of Georgia. Eustache describes Strickland as being “a great person, who is knowledgeable.” Strickland is working to put a chapter in the city Greensboro/ triad area.

Linda Williams, senior news editor for Raleigh NC, News & Observer was invited to the forum by Kelcie McCrae, Vice President of NABJ.

Allen Johnson, opinions editor for Greensboro News & Record is also a professor at North Carolina Agricultural and Agricultural And Technical State University.

Ed Gordon was the former “60 Second’s” correspondent and anchor of BET News. Gordon interviewed Presidents like George Bush. He also did a segment on BET entitles “Black Men Speak Out; the Aftermath,” which featured blunt opinions that led to the uprising.

Gordon will not be physically present to moderate the discussion, however he will participate via Skype.

The organization is expecting packed house. Last year’s event had a good turn out, despite scheduled when students are usually in class.

NABJ currently has 40 paid members. Members can participate in full body meetings and attend events.  NABJ’s email list server roughly accounts 80 members as well as subscriptions on the networking sites FACEBOOK and TWITTER.

Eustache says, “The Journalism department has as much to offer as any department, we view the quality of students not quantity.  The department has very honorable students like Kevin Wilson, Dexter Mullins, Kelcie McCray, SGA President Syene Jasmine, Travis Jackson (Vice President of External Affairs), and former Ms. A&T Tanisha Fordham.”

All students of the University are welcome to attend the event, regardless of your major; this panel discussion is of benefit to all.

• Nisha Streeter