Singer Stephanie Mills visits campus

In the hope of inspiring thespians and singers alike at North Carolina A&T, sophomore theater major Janaya Hudson along with theater professors helped bring Stephanie Mills to the campus on Thursday in the Paul Roberson Theater.

The Grammy award-winning singer and Broadway star visited with an Acting III class, along with others interested in hearing her accounts of her rise to stardom, and the trials and tribulations that came with being in the entertainment industry.

“I want to hear about what her experiences were like, and know what to expect in this business,” said sophomore professional theater major Kamundi Jones prior to the start of the program. “I want to know what keeps her going, and just be inspired by her.”

Mills may be most known by her role as Dorothy in The Wiz, in which her famous rendition of the R&B ballad, “Home” was featured.  She won a Grammy in 1980 for Best R&B Vocal Performance for the song, “Never Knew Love Like This Before.” Additionally, she had many singles top the charts including, “I’ve Learned To Respect The Power of Love,” and “If I Were Your Woman.”

“There were times where I’d cry because I wanted to do something that didn’t happen, and you do get discouraged, but that’s when you’re faith kicks in,” said Mills in response to how she handles moments of discouragement.

Mills became a star at the young age of nine. She grew up in the limelight, and has a great deal of knowledge of how to successfully work both the outer and inner workings of the business. Aside from the basic ability to successfully master the craft of acting and or singing, Mills also stressed the importance of knowing the other side of the industry; money management.

“I learned that, if I can go out on the stage and sing, I can go to the bank and deposit it [money],” she said.

To help stress her point, Mills’ lawyer, Johnny Taylor, also proclaimed that there are a lot of big time stars that are completely broke. He said they did not manage their money wisely, which ultimately left them in the situation they are in.

Not only did Mills speak on how she managed and coped with the hectic life of a performer, she also managed to briefly clarify the relationship between her and the king of pop himself, Michael Jackson.

“Michael was definitely my boyfriend back in the day,” said Mills. “But I don’t know if I was his girlfriend,” she said over loud bursts of laughter from the audience.

Mills then began to talk briefly about the friendship that grew between her and the late Jackson, and also went on to adamantly proclaim how genuine of a person he was. The two worked together in the play, The Wiz.

Mills also went on to stress the importance of staying true to oneself. She emphasized to the ladies in the room to not look for happiness in a man, but to already have self-happiness.

“She kept reiterating stuff like be yourself, and being true to yourself. She helped me realize that I have to be myself no matter where I go, and whatever I go through,” said sophomore theater major Cecilia McNeill.

Work is not over for Mills at this point, she is currently working on finishing a children’s book, which was inspired by her son’s love for his mother. The book will be distributed sometime in the early part of the New Year, along with a studio album she is currently working on. She currently has her own company, CJ Entertainment.

When asked what was the one thing she wants students to embed in to their minds, Mills simply said, “To be true to themselves, and never ever give up, and never listen to someone who tells you can’t. They should always strive to be the best they can be.”

• Kelcie McCrae