State fair held in Raleigh

Roughly 1 million people traveled to Raleigh for the 144th State

Fair this year to enjoy the festivities.

For North Carolina natives the State Fair is the time of year where one expects all the rides, fried food, and family entertainment a person could ask for. This year was no exception.

Roughly 1 million people traveled to Raleigh for the 144th State Fair this year to enjoy the festivities.

Not only was this the second highest attended fair in the history of the state, but it also included a visit from America’s most famous dairy cow, Elsie, from Borden Cheese. Spokesman Brian Long said, “They are setting up to educate people about where good food like milk and cheese comes from.

It’s an educational opportunity about agriculture, and we’re excited to have Elsie around; she is an icon.” The 11 day event was filled with fair rides; Sampson, “The World’s Largest Horse”; the 29 inch tall world’s smallest woman; the world’s largest rat; a Zonkey (half zebra, half donkey); fried Kool-Aid; fried strawberries; fried Oreos; homemade lemonade; and many other attractions and games for people of all ages.

Oh and of course the all-time famous turkey legs! Overall, the fair was successful.

Although no date is set for the next fair, there are no signs that it will be scheduled for a different time next year.

[email protected] and follow him on Twitter @TrumaineWasHere

• Trumaine McCaskill, Opinion Editor