Around the world in a day

The International Film Festival, “Telling Our Story Through Film” served as a visual educator on Tuesday as it started off the Chancellor’s Installation Lyceum Series. Different films made and produced by black filmmakers were shown between the hours of 10am to 4pm. They included Nubian Spirit, Roots Germania, The Jazz In Us, and Oscar Micheaux: A Man Ahead of His Time.

“With the help of Lyceum Series sub committee, we put this program together. Everyone [involved] was very helpful,” said Terri Long, Executive Assistant to the director of the Institute for Advance Journalism Studies and committee member.

She continues by saying, “The festival turned out very well, it was organized, logistics came together, and things were timely.”

Guests were greeted by a long red carpet, and brightly lit marquee welcoming them to the film festival in Stallings Ballroom. Free popcorn and drinks were provided to all of them.

“The films were very interesting and educational. Roots of Germania was my favorite because in order for an individual to know where they’re going they must know where they come from, and that’s what she was doing,” said Deborah S. Williamson, Administrative Associative in the College of Arts and Sciences.

“I wish we would have had more students because it was very educational.  You go to the movies and watch dramas, comedies and action movies, but at this film festival you actually see something with substance. It was actually good,” said Jasmine Gurley, sophomore PR Major from PG County, Maryland.

Following the premiere of the films, a reception was held in Stallings Ballroom. Heavy hors d’oeuvres were served prior to the start of a conversation with American Filmmaker Tim Reid.

During the discussion, Reid talked about some of the nine films he has made. He discussed the process he went through making the films as well as the trails and tribulations he faced. Reid also talked about the good times he had while making the films.

Reid also took the opportunity to show some of his movie trailers. They starred celebrities such as LL Cool J, Alfrie Woodard, Phlyisia Rashad, and Blair Underwood; just to name a few.

The International Film Festival is just one of the three events planned for this week. There will be a HBCU Panel discussion on Thursday, April 22 from 9:30am-11am. The topic will be “The Role of HBCUs on the New Millennium.” Dr. Julianne Malveaux, President of Bennett College for Women, will moderate the discussion.

The third and final event is a Jazz Concert also on Friday, April 24, in Harrison Auditorium.

The concert will take place between 7-10pm and will be hosted by Professor Gail Wiggins.

Tickets cost $10 for students and $20 for the general public.

The concert is entitled, “Rhythms of the African Diaspora – ‘Message in the Music’.” Jazz artists like Bill Summers, Delfeayo Marsalis, and Mondre Moffett are scheduled to perform.

• Kelcie McCrae & Sylvia Obell