University galleries host exhibition for high school students

University Galleries hosted the Second Annual “Celebrating Tomorrow’s Artist Today” and “Celebrating Creative Teaching”: Guilford County High School Art Exhibition Opening on Jan 28.

North Carolina A&T’s Department of Visual and Performing Arts partnered with Guilford County High Schools to provide a venue for young artists to display their artistic abilities.

The opening of the exhibit included a live jazz band which played upon entrance into the Henry Clinton Taylor Gallery, to intensify the mood.

The event started a little after 5pm as visitors continued to trickle in.The night began with the comical Ms. Donna Bradby, a Theatre Professor, as the hostess for the event.  

She introduced the opening speaker Mr. LeAnder Canady, a Visual Arts Professor, the Mayor of Greensboro William H. Knight, the Superintendent of Guilford County Schools Maurice “Mo” Green, and other esteemed guests.

The exhibit displays work from junior and senior high school students, from various high schools in Guilford County.

“Something new we added this year was to allow teachers who taught these students, to submit work as well,” said Visual Arts professor Mr. LeAnder Canady.

All 17 Guilford County High Schools are represented at the exhibit. There are 14 exhibits designed by teachers and 43 by students.

They range from a Mountain Dew inspired aluminum hat, to oil based replicas of still pictures.

The students were judged by Mr. Canady and another art teacher on the quality and style of their work.

Of the 43 students, three deserving artists were rewarded a $50 visa gift card “to use however they please” said Canady.

Helen Palmenteri, an art teacher from Northeast Guilford since 2003, stated that three students from her school submitted art for the exhibit.

“I think that this is a great idea” Palmenteri said between bites.

“I always tell my students about being professional; so this is a great way for them to experience being professional.”

A host of other art teachers and principals from all over the county came to show support for their schools.

Jazmine Henderson, a sophomore Nursing major, volunteered for the event. When she heard about the exhibit she knew she wanted to help.  

For Henderson, the exhibits brought back memories “I use to draw when I was coming up” she said. “Looking at these exhibits I’m like ‘I used to do that'” she laughed.

The exhibits will continue to be displayed until March 11.

“A lot of students and teachers did a really good job” said Henderson. “I really enjoyed myself.”

• Deshawn Fleming