Choosing the best study-abroad program for your interests

College is a time to explore new things and find your true interests, and perhaps nothing illustrates this better than the opportunities offered through study-abroad programs. These programs afford students the opportunity to study in a foreign country for a month, a semester or even a year, giving them a chance take courses given from a perspective they would never get at home, while also allowing the opportunity to explore another culture.

Just the prospect of living in a foreign country for an extended period of time is enough to convince many students to study abroad, as it’s something you may never again have the ability to do during your professional life. While it’s likely that you’ll treasure your experience wherever you decide to go, it’s also important to take a few things into consideration before choosing a program.

Language

If you’re learning a foreign language, it makes a lot of sense to choose a location that will allow you to use that language on a day-to-day basis. If you’re studying French, a Paris study abroad experience will teach you more about the language than any class ever could.

Even if you haven’t had a lot of training in a specific language, studying abroad in a country that speaks a language you’ve been dying to learn can provide an effective crash course in the language. Most study abroad programs are built to accommodate your level of experience with a foreign language.

Internships

Completing an internship while studying in a foreign country is not only a great way to fulfill requirements and get the most out of your education dollar, but a fantastic item to be able to put on a resume. When prospective employers see that you have real world experience in a foreign country, it’s a testament to your ability to think on your feet and adapt to new surroundings.

Before you decide on a program, meet with an adviser at your study abroad office to go over all the internship options that different programs offer. For example, American Intercontinental University offers a multitude of internship opportunities as part of its program for students who study abroad in London.

As with internship programs at home, these can be very competitive, so it’s best to start the conversation early and try to line one up before you get to your location.

Location

All things considered, studying abroad is still a great way to see the world, so if you’ve been dying to visit a certain location, don’t be afraid to factor that into your decisions. Many programs offer students the opportunity to travel during weekends or breaks, so you may want to choose a program that’s close to other locations you would like to visit, as well.

Information in this article was provided by American Intercontinental University. Contact AIU today if you’re interested in developing marketable knowledge and career-relevant skills with an industry-current degree program. (AIU cannot guarantee employment or salary.)