The news on nose jobs: Faster recovery and preview your look

Millions of Americans have rhinoplasty (“a nose job”) every year, and millions more think about it – but don’t do it because they fear a long recovery time or that they will be disappointed by the results.

In fact, about 15 percent of all nose jobs get redone. But new developments in plastic surgery not only shorten recovery times, they also allow potential patients to use online software to preview what their new noses could look like.

“Nose surgery is the most-sought-after cosmetic surgery for people younger than 35, according to the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery,” says Dr. Sam Rizk, a facial plastic surgeon operating in New York. “They’re also among the most complex procedures because the surgeon must take into account not only aesthetics but functional breathing considerations as well.”

New technology, however, is helping potential patients visualize what their new noses might look like. The Nose Visualizer application allows you to upload your own photo or digital image – front or profile view – and digitally reshape the image to see what your new nose could look like.

Rizk also employs 3-D technology during surgery to improve patient outcomes.

“Using high-definition, 3-D, computer-assisted technology allows me to make smaller incisions and ensure greater accuracy during surgery,” Rizk says. “This can lead to a much shorter recovery time – generally five days versus the standard two weeks. There is less bruising and tissue damage.”

Even if you already had rhinoplasty and were disappointed with the outcome, new technology may make it possible to improve your nose, Rizk says. Patients should keep in mind, however, that it’s always better to have fewer surgeries, and that not everyone will be a candidate for revision.

Another improvement in technology – the use of micro-sanding powered instruments that operate inside the nose – also allows for more natural-looking results. Rizk created and uses such proprietary tools, rather than traditional surgical knives and rasps, to produce smooth edges rather than sharp ones.

“Rhinoplasty has come a long way in terms of technology, recovery time and results,” Rizk says. “Now it can safely and effectively be performed even on teens – girls by age 14 and boys by age 15. They can achieve a natural-looking nose and improved breathing.”

To see examples of Dr. Rizk’s gallery of rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty results, visit www.rhinoplastyonline.com. To schedule a comprehensive consultation with Dr. Rizk in his office or via SKYPE, e-mail him at [email protected].