Harlem Renaissance brought to life by actor in “Of Ebony Embers”

“Of Ebony Embers” is a jazz-driven, one-man play that focuses on three influential Black poets of the Harlem Renaissance: Countee, Cullen, Langston Hughes and Claude McKay. The Core Ensemble featuring Akin Babatunde brought “Of Ebony Embers” to Robeson Theatre, Thursday night, Jan. 18, to commence the Lyceum Series at North Carolina A&T. The lives of these poets are examined through the eyes of painter Aaron Douglas, played by Babatunde. The Core Ensemble, which consists of Tahirah Whittington playing the cello, Hugh Hinton on piano and Michael Parola on percussion, has enjoyed nationwide success and recognition. Babatunde has appeared regularly on Public Television’s children’s program Wishbone. He has also been a member of the Alley Theater in Houston, Texas, the Dallas Theater Center and Trinity Repertory Theater in Providence. The play, which was written by Babatunde, takes place in Harlem, New York City on a January evening in 1935 in Douglas’ home. Douglas has planned a memorial dinner in honor of Wallace Thurman and Rudolph Fisher, to which he invites the poets. Babatunde also brings Cullen, Hughes and McKay back to life as he acts out each poet’s reaction to the invitation. The Core Ensemble provided the musical backdrop that enhanced Babatunde’s emotional fluctuations as he transformed from one character to another. The Core Ensemble played music from jazz legends such as Charles Mingus, Duke Ellington, Jelly Roll Morton and Thelonius Monk. Babatunde’s performance was compelling and he displayed his well-developed theatrical abilities. However, there were times when I found myself confused. His characters were responding to Douglas’ invitation, I understood that much. But they would sometimes drift off into another topic. Maybe I missed something, I don’t know. I found the music to be the play’s saving grace because it was entertaining and, as mentioned before, it complemented the emotions of the actor. Overall, the acting, and the music were excellent, despite the confusing plot. I would recommend this play to anyone, if the opportunity is granted to them.