Rita’s Italian Water Ice Opens in Greensboro

Rita’s Italian Water Ice is finally opened in Greensboro

The grand opening of Rita’s Italian Water Ice took place Aug. 26, in Greensboro on 2627 Lawndale Drive. Matthew Bailey, the owner of the Rita’s Greensboro location, made an offer to give the first 100 customers a year’s worth of Rita’s on the opening day.

Customers camped out in front of the store in tents and vans just to have a taste. Though the first 100 customers arrived by 9:30 a.m., that did not stop other customers from coming in for their water ice. Everyone received a free water ice of his or her choice at the grand opening for helping support Rita’s.

“The opening went very well, better than expected. We have loyal customers in Greensboro especially since there are a lot of people moving down here from up north,” said Bailey.

Greensboro is the first in the triad to open a Rita’s Water Ice but there are also some in Charlotte, Raleigh, and Carrboro.

If you are not familiar with Rita’s, they have a huge selection of flavors including Mango, Island Fusion, Swedish Fish, Cherry, Sugar free, and many more. The menu is not limited to water ice. Gelatis, frozen custard, slenderita, misto, blendini, and cream ice are all offered as well.

Rita’s Greensboro is finding many ways to promote such as their Birthday Club that gives every customer a free water ice on his or her birthday; a Facebook page, Rita’s Greensboro; and the estimated 20,000 coupons that have been sent out for free water ice. Rita’s is also focusing and reaching out to universities like North Carolina A&T. They were present at A&T’s 2011 Organizational Fair in order to build their clientele and get Rita’s name out among colleges and universities.

Watch out for Michael Bailey on the Rita’s Greensboro Facebook page for the “Fan of the Day.” All year long Bailey will be selecting a fan from Facebook and if that person comes in the same day he or she will receive a free treat.

Rita’s is now here to serve the customers of Greensboro, so GO GET YOUR WATER ICE!

• Jennell McMillion,Contributor