This is college: Don’t worry, be happy

The typical

saying is that “College will be the best years of your

life.”  So why is that I hear so many students

expressing how they cannot wait to get out of here? 

Everyone is so stressed when they should be happy and really

enjoying their time here.

The typical saying is that “College will be the best years of your life.”  So why is that I hear so many students expressing how they cannot wait to get out of here?  Everyone is so stressed when they should be happy and really enjoying their time here.

I personally love college.  The stress you experience in college has nothing on the stress you may experience after you leave this institution.  So why not enjoy life and just be happy?

The most you have to deal with here is juggling school work, a job, and organizations you may be a part of.  Yes, your classes do get harder and exams are not the easiest things to get through, but that can easily be resolved with studying, time management and just seeking help.

I do not comprehend why students are stressed about college and anxious to enter the real world.  The real world is more stressful than college.  When you graduate you are officially on a timer to pay back all the money you spent to be here.  You have to find a job quick, fast, and in a hurry.   You are no longer on a campus surrounded by people your own age that are trying to pursue something in their life like you are.  In the real world you never know what kind of people you will meet; and if you move to a whole new city it might get a little lonely.  It is kind of hard to find a large group of people in your age group that is really about pursuing something in life like you are. 

For the non-traditional student, college just might be a genuine struggle for you and I understand.  But being a non-traditional student should not be used as a crutch for you to not make the best out of this experience.  Some of you may have children, two jobs and a family to take care of so it may seem like the world is on your shoulders.  If that is your reality or it is close to that just remember you are here for a reason.  If it was not meant for you to be here, you would not be here.  So come on this campus with the best attitude you can muster up and strive for excellence.

There are so many reasons why people are so happy to be here and truly love college.   To begin with, it is always pleasing to know that you are surrounded by thousands of ambitious students like yourself who understand how hard college can be, but are getting through just like you.  These are the times when you have the opportunity to make lifelong friends with people all over the country.  Ultimately, even though you may have moments of stress, you should be grateful and happy to know that you have the chance to be exposed to many careers and learning opportunities that you probably would have never gotten in your life. 

Yes, college is expensive and that is a big stress factor that students have, but if you see it as the investment it is, it will truly uplift your spirits and put things more in focus.  When you think about how much you are paying to be here, you should automatically want to make sure that you get the most from your time here.  This would include, getting involved on campus, networking and building lasting relationships with your fellow students, and truly becoming the best Aggie you can be.  Truthfully you should aim to make these four years great and full of memories.

I just want students to appreciate being here and enjoy their life at the moment.  These four years will fly by and before you know it you will be one of those old people wishing you could do it all over again.  So I suggest that everyone take a moment to see the positives of being here and really internalize because every last one of you have the right to be happy.

• Michele Delgado, Contributor