Living life in the fast lane with diabetes

(ARA) – In 1933, a driver at the famed Indianapolis 500 was pulled off the starting line and not allowed to compete because he had diabetes. Now, in the 100th year of this iconic race, Charlie Kimball is making history as the first licensed driver with type 1 diabetes to race in the IZOD IndyCar Series.

“Racing at the highest level of the series is a dream come true in every sense of the word,” says Kimball, who was diagnosed in 2007 while racing in Europe. “It’s a culmination of years of hard work and support from my family and friends.”

With no family history of diabetes and little understanding of the disease, Kimball was overwhelmed when he was first diagnosed. Even worse, he was forced to put his racing career on hold until he could get his diabetes under control.

Kimball quickly learned that people with type 1 diabetes do not produce the insulin their bodies need to properly control blood sugar levels. As a result, people with type 1 diabetes need to take insulin. Despite available treatments, it still can be difficult to achieve optimal blood sugar goals. The resulting “highs” and “lows” can cause serious side effects, and for someone behind the wheel of a race car, the consequences could be deadly.

But Kimball, just 23 at the time, decided diabetes wouldn’t be the end to his career. He worked with his doctor to find a treatment regimen that kept his diabetes under control on and off the track. He uses the Levemir FlexPen (insulin detemir [rDNA origin] injection) and NovoLog (insulin aspart [rDNA origin] injection) to help manage his diabetes. Kimball’s team fit his race car with a continuous glucose monitor that provides real-time updates on his blood sugar levels and fashioned a special helmet system that enables Kimball to take a sip of sugar-rich orange juice if levels get too low while he’s racing. With these changes in place, Kimball was back in the the No. 83 Levemir and NovoLog FlexPen car race car six weeks later and earned a triumphant podium finish in his first race since his diagnosis.

As the only licensed race car driver with diabetes in INDYCAR, Kimball is in the unique position to share his inspiring story with hospitals in the cities where he races, as well as at diabetes patient expos nationwide.

“I am so grateful to everyone at Novo Nordisk for standing beside me and encouraging me along the way,” says Kimball, now 26. “Not only do they make the insulins I take every day to manage my diabetes, but together we’ve partnered to show that diabetes doesn’t have to stop you from achieving your goals.”

“Charlie Kimball is a role model for people living with diabetes,” says Dr. Anne Peters, Charlie’s endocrinologist and one of his biggest fans. “He works hard on and off the track to properly manage his condition and shows people that nothing, not even diabetes, should prevent them from pursuing their dreams.”

Kimball is currently in his rookie season in the IZOD IndyCar Series and drives for Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing.

Follow Kimball and his work with Novo Nordisk on Twitter @racewithinsulin or www.novonordisk-us.com.

About Levemir (insulin detemir [rDNA origin] injection)

Indications and usage:

Levemir is a man-made long-acting insulin that is used to control high blood sugar in adults and children with diabetes mellitus.

Important safety information:

Do not take Levemir if your blood sugar is too low (hypoglycemia) or if you are allergic to anything in Levemir. If you take too much Levemir your blood sugar may fall too low.

Check your blood sugar levels. Ask your health care provider what your blood sugars should be and when you should check your blood sugar levels. Alcohol, including beer and wine, may affect your blood sugar when you take Levemir.

Do not change the type of insulin you use unless told to do so by your health care provider. The amount of insulin you take as well as the best time for you to take your insulin may need to change if you take a different type of insulin.

Never mix Levemir with other insulin products or use in an insulin pump.

Needles and Levemir FlexPen must not be shared.

Tell your health care provider about all medicines you take and all of your medical conditions, including if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Your Levemir dose may change if you take other medicines.

The most common side effect of insulin therapy, including Levemir, is low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). Other possible side effects include reactions at the injection site (like redness, swelling and itching), and allergic reactions. Get medical help right away if you experience signs of serious allergic reaction such as body rash, trouble with your breathing, fast heartbeat, or sweating. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for further information.

Please see www.levemir-us.com for Levemir complete prescribing information, or call (800) 727-6500.

About NovoLog (insulin aspart [rDNA origin] injection)

Indications and usage:

NovoLog is a man-made insulin that is used to control high blood sugar in adults and children with diabetes mellitus.

Important safety information:

Do not take NovoLog if your blood sugar is too low (hypoglycemia) or if you are allergic to anything in NovoLog. If you take too much NovoLog your blood sugar may fall too low.

NovoLog is a fast-acting insulin. You should eat a meal within five to 10 minutes after using NovoLog to avoid low blood sugar. Do not inject NovoLog if you do not plan to eat right after using NovoLog. Check your blood sugar levels. Ask your health care provider what your blood sugars should be and when you should check your blood sugar levels. Alcohol, including beer and wine, may affect your blood sugar when you take NovoLog.

Do not mix NovoLog with any other insulins when used in a pump or with any insulins other than NPH when used with injections by syringe.

Needles and NovoLog FlexPen must not be shared.

Tell your health care provider about all medicines you take and all of your medical conditions, including if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Your NovoLog dose may change if you take other medicines.

NovoLog has not been studied in children with type 2 diabetes or in children with type 1 diabetes under the age of 2.

The most common side effect of NovoLog is low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). Other possible side effects include reactions at the injection site (like redness, swelling and itching), and allergic reactions. Get medical help right away if you experience signs of serious allergic reaction such as body rash, trouble with your breathing, fast heartbeat, or sweating. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for further information.

Please see www.novolog.com for NovoLog complete Prescribing Information.

Levemir and NovoLog are registered trademarks of Novo Nordisk A/S.