Aggies softball on a five-game winning streak

March was a challenge that the N.C.A&T softball team couldn’t overcome.

Scarred with injuries, the Ladies lost 15-out-of-20 games during the month.

But the Lady Aggies wounds seemed to be healed in the month of April as they increased their win streak to four wins after knocking off Western Carolina in a double-header sweep Tuesday afternoon.   

They closed out the series with a 3-2 win after barely pulling off the 8-7 victory at the Lady Aggies Softball Complex.

In Game 2 with the score tied at 2-2, Hope Fletcher reached and loaded the bases on a Catamounts error setting up Ryanne Hill for a game-winning hit.

The junior did deliver a single to centerfield bringing pitcher Jennifer Luper home for the win.

The conclusion is what head coach Mamie Jones has expected out of her squad.

“We’re finishing games and that’s why we had a hard time in some of the one and 2-point loss games,” Jones said.

“That was the thing I had been preaching about – finishing what we started.”

And this was also the case in Game 1.

The Ladies took a commanding 7-5 lead when senior Bianca Alsobrook scored off a Hope Fletcher RBI single.

In the bottom of the seventh, Luper was able to hold off a Catamounts rally allowing only a run before closing the game.

On Friday the Aggies defeated South Carolina State 7-4 and 9-0 and on Saturday afternoon the Aggies defeated SC Sate once again 9-0.

After two victories the Aggies continued to score and had a big second inning in their third game with 8 runs.

Jessie Larson started the second inning with a double that was followed by a single from Bianca Alsobrook. Larson scored and two SC State errors put Alsobrook on third and allowed Lillian Bullock to reach. Alsobrook was able to score off a single by Philpot, which gave the Aggies a 2-0 lead. A double by Larson scored Hill to close out the inning with 8 runs.

The Aggies will host Winston-Salem State Saturday at 1 p.m. 

• Lauren Morgan & Daniel Henderson