Raekwon the Chef is Still Cooking

When I read that Raekwon the Chef was pushing some new product, my curiosity instantly peaked.   I remember the first time I sampled Rae’s dope. He called it Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, we called it “the purple tape”.

I was hooked before I cracked the plastic packaging.  I knew it was good when I first listened to it because I had mixed emotions about it. I didn’t really like it, it was too new -but I kept chanting verses from it, and didn’t know why.  It kept me nodding, but never let me sleep on it.  My head just kept jerking back and forth, while my body convulsed – I was High!

When I came to from my stupor, I was vomiting ill phrases like “the Gods left lesson on my dresser” and “politic ditto”. At first, I didn’t know exactly what I was saying, but I felt like I knew what I was saying. Just as important, I felt like Raekwon the Chef knew what he was saying.

Basically, he was feeling himself – one of the primary characteristics of a good MC in my book. Only Built 4 Cuban Linx was chocked full of that artistic passion that hip-hop fiends say is missing from the streets right now. Needless to say, when I heard there might be an influx of exotic in the neighborhood, I was chomping at the bit to get my hands on it.

Only Built 4 Cuban Linx 2 is the long-awaited sequel to Raekwon’s first solo effort. Since that first album Rae has done respectable numbers, moving almost 2 million units, and maintaining his fan base even during these tough times in hip-hop-onomics. This go around, the captain of the kitchen is not only bubbling up work with his original Wu cohort, he’s added all-star quest appearances  by Dr. Dre, Busta Rhymes,  Beanie Sigel, Lyfe Jennings, Slick Rick, Jada Kiss, and Styles P. 

Dre produced two tracks on the album, “Catalina” and “About Me”. J Dilla and Scram Jones produced three tracks apiece.  Eric Sermon, DJ Scram, Pete Rock, Alchemist, Allah Mathematics and –of course- the RZA hold additional production credits on OB4CL2 as well.

For those unfamiliar with Raekwon, he’s an original member of the legendary Wu-Tang Clan. He is most recently noted for filming himself and his brothers beating up Jersey rapper Joe Budden after a Rock the Bells concert. Raekwon apparently took offense to Budden calling Wu-member, Method Man, “whacked” on his blog. (YouTube has been airing this feud all summer) Always a dark thinker, Raekwon delivers hard body crime stories using a choppy, eclectic, free-word association rhyming style. He and Ghostface Killah made this unorthodox style famous on OB4CL1.

Track 16, “10 Bricks” is the best example of the Rae/Ghost formula. Other highlights from the album include: “House of Flying Daggers”, “Kiss the Ring”, “Broken Safety” and “Fat Lady Sings”. Track 8, “New Wu” is the first single off the album and has propelled it to the top of the itunes download charts.

I’ve got mixed emotions about mentioning the low moments of this album because I saw Joe Budden’s eye. But, in the interest of journalistic integrity, I think it only fair to mention that, while not a total Frisbee, the album does have a few skippers on it. If you’re not built for a Cuban link, then you’re probably not built for Cuban Linx 2. According to Raekwon, OB4CL2 is “the definition of exclusive…multi-expensive rhymin’ brotha”. 

You’re not going to find a bunch of catchy hooks, and radio-friendly material on OB4CL2. Nor will you find an old man mad at young rappers for not living their life the way he does. What you will find is a seasoned street veteran pouring his heart out on the microphone with artists whom he respects.  Although OB4CL2 is not the purple tape; it is a valuable (if not earth-shattering) contribution to hip-hop. When you first listen to it, rewind it, and then listen to it again.

Let the music take your mind on a natural high. You’ll never forget about where you were the first time you did. I guarantee. 

• Armondo Ramone