The “K” Report: 49ers will win Super Bowl

A Super Bowl victory exists as the most triumphant and fulfilling sports accomplishment for football fans around the world.

Collective success in any team sport requires every move be made with the sole intent of quenching an organization’s never ending thirst for greatness.

I expect the NFC West’s San Francisco 49ers to experience this upmost level of football nostalgia at the conclusion of this season.

“Defense wins championships.”

In 2012, the 49ers (13-3) employed a dominating and punishing culture on the defensive side of the ball, finishing with the number two ranked defense behind the AFC’s Pittsburgh Steelers.

Last year the works of All-Pro rookie outside linebacker Aldon Smith and land-shark inside linebacker Patrick Willis anchored this tenacious unit. The Niners ceased to allow a single rushing touchdown at Candlestick Park in 2012.

This offseason, the defense supplemented an aggressive defensive front by investing in the physical and pestering coverage skills of former Washington Redskins cornerback Carlos Rodgers.

Thus far, the Niners have proven that creating positive yardage and developing a rhythm will be a daunting task for any opposing offenses this season.

After making a mockery of two of the NFL’s most iconic signal callers, Aaron Rodgers and Matthew Stafford, expect exotic blitz packages and disguised coverage schemes to be at the forefront of defensive coordinator Vic Fangio’s strategy for the remainder of the season.

Offensively, expect head coach Jim Harbaugh to strictly conform to the basic tenets of San Fran’s west coast offense, which includes baiting overly aggressive defenses with the power running game and periodically surprising them with the vertical passing game.

Though 29th in passing offense, the 49ers ranked 8th in rushing yardage behind the pads of University of Miami product Frank Gore in 2012.

But that was last season.

The additions of touchdown machine Randy Moss, the precise route running abilities of receiver Mario Manningham, and the violent running style of the 6’5 concussion-causing running back Brandon Jacobs forces opposing teams to literally pick their poison.

Not to mention the 4.4 speed of tight end Vernon Davis and the soft hands of pass-catcher Michael Crabtree, who have developed a rapport in their 4 seasons playing together.

After being the focal point and scapegoat of numerous underachieving seasons in San Fran, former number-one pick Alex Smith experienced his first taste of NFL success with 17 touchdowns and 5 interceptions last year under the supervision of notorious quarterback guru Harbaugh.

So far, the former Utah Ute has passed for 4 touchdowns and no interceptions, defeating the Green Bay Packers and the Detroit Lions both in convincing fashion.

I understand the season is only 2 weeks young and anything can happen, but I can undoubtedly say that barring any significant injuries or suspensions, the San Francisco 49ers will take home the heralded Vince Lombardi trophy in 2013.

[email protected] and follow him on Twitter @K2FOCUSED

• KALYN HOYLE, Opinions Editor