Hot summer party trends and how to make them work for you

(ARA) – That old saying “any excuse for a party” really applies to how many of us feel about summer. Warm weather, longer days and freedom from school commitments can give us the urge to celebrate – for any reason, or none at all.

Whether you plan to celebrate every summer holiday from Memorial Day through Labor Day, or will save up your celebrating for one big blow-out event, you’ll want your summer event to be one your guests remember – and discuss – when the snow starts flying come winter. From unique celebration trends to money- and time-saving measures, the party planning experts at the American Rental Association (ARA) member rental stores point to these two hot summer entertaining trends to keep in mind while you plan your summer soirees.

Green is still “in”

Our sense of responsibility to the environment is alive and thriving, even when we’re partying. Events that respect and pay homage to the environment and nature are in this year, and smart hosts are finding creative ways to green their parties.

More hosts are replacing disposable tableware with the real thing. Not only do real dishes and barware add a touch of class to a party, reusing items and reducing waste is more environmentally conscious. If you don’t have enough dishes and glasses for everyone – and don’t want to spend your day washing everything to keep up with the demand – consider renting what you need. It will cost less than buying the amount you require, will save you time on washing, and will still be more eco-friendly than using disposable items.

In keeping with the earth-friendly trend, an outdoor event is perfect for summer. But since summer weather can be unpredictable, it may pay to rent a tent for your celebration. Tents not only help to block the rain but are also effective in providing relief from the sun.

Finally, green up your decor. Take advantage of summer’s natural beauty by using plants and flowers to decorate buffet tables, seating areas and more. Potted plants make a great, colorful accent to tables and can do double duty as door prizes. And party planners report that the color green will be popular this year for party decor. You can incorporate the hue in table linens, bunting and even cuisine.

Fun with nostalgia

Americans have had some tough economic times these past few years. And while fun is always the key ingredient for any great party, this summer, events will incorporate food and activities with a touch of nostalgia to remind guests of those carefree days of childhood summers.

You can incorporate this trend into your menu selection. Instead of simply grilling up those dogs, why not rent an old-fashioned hot dog machine like the ones you might have seen at carnivals and in movie theaters in bygone days? Renting a popcorn machine and inviting guests to enjoy the freshly popped treat is another way to evoke fond memories with food.

Activities can also be a great way to spark nostalgia for guests. Toss a Slip and Slide on the lawn, or invite guests to partake of traditional party games like croquet. Keep the kids moving – and contained – by renting an inflatable bounce house. You can also find inflatables large enough to accommodate adults.

Don’t forget to add whimsy and nostalgia to decor. You can rent a number of items that will remind guests of fun times, from disco-themed lights to bubble machines. Just remember to plan ahead and give your local ARA rental store plenty of notice so you can be sure to get everything you need for your party. You’ll find more information at www.rentalhq.com.