Aggie softball team win home tournament

The  Lady Aggies softball team beat  Appalachian State 12-3  in the championship game of the N.C. A&T Softball invitational Sunday afternoon.

After losing to the Mountaineers 3-0 on Friday, the Aggies (4-1) won four straight games to win the title. Senior Channing Statham, Bianca Alsobrook and Lillian Bullock had three RBIs apiece for the Aggies.

Bullock hit her 30th career home run in the fourth, and Yamaha White added three hits and scored a run. Luper earned the win on the mound by striking out six over six innings to improve to 2-1 on the season.

Alsobrook hit an impressive .571 (8-for-14) for the tournament with two doubles and four RBIs to earn all-tournament honors. White was also an all-tournament selection after securing eight hits and scoring six times over five games.

Philpot was the only other all-tournament selection for N.C. A&T. Philpot went 2-0 and did not give up a run over 10 innings pitched in the tournament.

After taking an early 3-1 run lead thanks to a three-run first inning, the Aggies exploded for five runs in the fourth. Senior Britney Reddick and White started things off with back-to-back singles.

After freshman Hope Fletcher advanced the runners with a groundout, Ryanne Hill followed with a single through the left side of the infield to score Reddick for a 4-1 Aggies lead.

Mountaineers starter Hannah Dow then tossed a wild pitch that allowed White to score.

Her troubles continued when she walked senior Jessie Larson. With runners on first and third, the Mountaineers turned to Caitlin Wainright.

Wainright had not surrendered a run over her first 8 1/3 innings pitched during the tournament. But not even she could slow down the Aggie attack.

Statham greeted her with a groundout that scored Hill for a 6-1 Aggies advantage. Bullock, the Aggies all-time leader in home runs, was not a gracious host either.

She drove Wainwright’s 2-1 pitch over the right-center field fence for a two-run shot that gave the Aggies a convincing 8-1 lead.

The Aggies delivered the final blow with a four-run sixth that included an RBI single by Statham and a three-run RBI double from Alsobrook.

The Lady Aggies will host St. Bonaventure Friday at 1 p.m.

• Staff Reports