Volleyball gains first win of the season

The North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University’s volleyball team opened their MEAC season against its in-state rival, North Carolina Central University.

The Aggies went into the matchup in hopes of capturing their first win of the season. The Aggies (1-16, 1-0 MEAC) are coming off a 3-0 loss to Gardner-Webb Sunday in Boiling Springs, N.C.

Brooke Stamnes, a junior from Loreburn, Saskatchewan recorded a double-double for the fifth time this season. Stamnes led the Aggies to a 3-1 (25-21,25-22,25-10,25-11) win against the Eagles, for their first win of the season. The Eagles won the first set 25-21 after an exceptional performance from outside hitter Denni Johnson and middle hitter Kelly Rossip.

The Aggies struggled in the second set, where they were behind 11-4. After a timeout, the Aggies went on a rally and quickly caught up with the Eagles to tie the game 13-13. Junior Aleena McDaniel recorded 10 kills and 8 digs to give the Aggies its first lead of the second match. The second match got as close as 24-22, but McDaniel closed out the match with a kill to end the set and tie the game 1-1.

The Aggies then made a 13-4 run in the third match after taking a 12-6 lead. In the fourth and final set, the Aggies opened with an 11-5 lead, which forced an Eagles timeout. The Aggies came out victorious and won the set 25-11.

Libero Ashley Johnson was honored for recording her 1,000th career dig. She ended this contest with 15 digs. Liz Martino recorded a team high of 33 assist and added 10 digs to finish the game with her fifth double-double of the year. The Aggies displayed their best hitting percentage of the season. They out hit the Eagles  .208-.000.

The Aggies will have six matches on the road starting Friday Oct. 3, 2014 when they face Bethune-Cookman in Daytona Beach, Fla. at 7 p.m.

— Email Janay at jlboone@aggies.ncat.edu and follow her on Twitter @Ayo_IsThatBoone

• Janay Boone Sports Editor