Is Aggie Pride ready to go worldwide?

The collective graduating class of 2010 will be made up of approximately 1.5 million undergraduate students, according to The National Center for Education Statistics. Across this country, institutions of higher learning will be conferring degrees to a very diverse group of post-college hopefuls, most seeking jobs or continued education in this competitive American economy.

North Carolina A&T will contribute at least 2,000 graduates to the 1.5 million. These Aggies will be small fish in a big pond, but as esteemed North Carolina A&T graduates it is presumed that they have obligated themselves to “achieving great goals in everything,” and should now be inclined to be symbols of “renowned individuals dedicated to excellence.” The standards have been set forth not only by this university, but by the millions of other bachelor’s degree graduates that represent the competitors for A&T grads.

The statistics show the reality. An article from CNN Money recently confirmed that in 2009, the job prospects for new college graduates dropped 40 percent and will drop another 2 percent for graduates of 2010, and the average salary these 1.5 million students will be vying for barely brushes $40,000 a year. So the questions is, when it comes to being hired or accepted into grad programs, are A&T graduates ready to claim their piece of the pie?

In theory, the idea of “Taking Aggie Pride Worldwide” is beautiful, but without continued substantiation a slogan will lose its shape and become just that: a slogan.

A&T graduates must be prepared to come with their “A” game. There is a world out there comprised of academic overachievers and driven individuals, many of whom are graduating from institutions that are internationally recognized for academic superiority, based on strict standards required from the students who are admitted there.

It is your choice whether you want to personally compare yourself to these people, but there is not a choice in realizing that once you have walked across the stage in May, you are expected to be equals and your capability to contend for jobs and placement in programs with these individuals lies within your control.

Graduates of A&T can begin by preparing themselves better.  First, strive for the best grades and the best standardized test scores. Many may argue that success based on these types of standards is relative, but I contend that an overzealous idealist is simply a dreamer who will never see their fantasy reach full fruition.

For a college graduate, GPA and GRE, GMAT and LSAT scores matter. An A&T professor recently spoke in front of his class, “I don’t care if you were president of this organization, a member of that fraternity, or involved in a million community service activities … if you do not make the grades and scores you will not be invited to the club.” By the club, I can only assume he meant you when your resume is pitted against a recent Howard, UNCG, or Yale grad you will not get that job, internship, or acceptance into grad school.

I am a proud Aggie. This is a call to action for our future generations of Aggies who will matriculate here. North Carolina A&T students must demand the very best of themselves when it comes to their academic and personal accolades. Check these statistics: A&T graduates go to Princeton, A&T graduates go to Columbia, A&T graduates land jobs making $80,000-plus right out of undergrad, and this does not have to be the exception.

We, the students, can shape this to be the standard. The resources and capability is here and out there, in the global game where A&T students will be competing. It is high time that A&T students take advantage, otherwise don’t make excuses or act bewildered when you do not get your piece of the American pie.

Remember you weren’t in the kitchen when it was time to cook.    

• Alessandra brown