Four stylish trends for creating an outdoor living space for the whole family

Nothing is better than spending time outdoors and enjoying warm weather with loved ones. Creating an outdoor space where the entire family can relax doesn’t mean sacrificing style. With some easy decorating tips, you can create a welcoming space that is truly an extension of your home.

1. Popular design themes

Current outdoor design draws decorating cues from the ocean. Even if you don’t live close to the sea, nautical themes can be a fun way to create an inviting outdoor space. Neutral fabrics echo the feeling of sand and also stay cool in the hot sun. Accents with pops of blue and other vivid colors add visual appeal. Family decorating idea: Plan a day at the beach or lake collecting a trove of natural finds, such as shells, driftwood and rocks. Add these keepsakes to your outdoor living area as decorative details to complete the theme.

2. Patio furniture trends

Wicker and durable hardwood furniture remain popular for their natural look and easy maintenance. Choose from a variety of furniture options, including comfortable chaises and relaxed rockers. Consider choosing a key piece, such as a sofa or table, and build your lounge area around that focal point, adding chairs, ottomans and benches for extra comfort.

3. Cool outdoor comfort

Don’t let warm summer days deter you from spending time in your beautiful outdoor space. A few small updates can ensure everyone’s comfort. Shade is necessary during bright sunny days to protect you from sunburns and help you stay cool. If you have the appropriate space, a pergola is a gorgeous option. Consider draping fabric over the pergola for extra sun protection. If you have a smaller outdoor space, an all-weather umbrella or awning can make a big difference. Ample shade, along with a cold beverage and plenty of sunscreen, will allow your family to enjoy the outdoors on even the hottest days.

4. Storing the extras

Fun in the sun with the entire family usually involves having some extras on hand. Think about outdoor toys like beach balls, sprinklers and water guns for children. Items like beach towels and lawn games are good for teens. Keep these extras organized in an outdoor chest or choose furniture pieces designed with storage compartments. That way they’ll be easily accessible when needed, and out of sight when not being used.

No matter what the size of your outdoor space, these simple tips will transform it into an area your entire family will love. When you combine great functionality with long-lasting design, you’ll be delighted by the stylish results.