Solving the wardrobe riddle

(ARA) – Have a closet overflowing with pieces that are no longer in fashion or just plain unflattering? Not quite sure, actually, what lies behind closet door number one?

Amy E. Goodman, Timex fashion trend director and fashion and beauty author, aims to solve women’s wardrobe riddles with her new book, “Wear This, Toss That!”

Goodman believes it costs us not to look our best. “A closet filled with clothes you don’t wear is like hanging money on hangers and not spending it,” she says. And not just in dollars, but in confidence, too. “The bottom line is that we all want to look good, so I made it my mission to help women regain control of their closets by simplifying their choices.” In her new book, organized cleverly like a woman’s closet, she shares her insider fashion and beauty wears and tosses one hanger and product at a time.

Here’s a highlight of her wake-up-your-wardrobe advice:

* Wear: The wrap shirt. An adjustable wrap shirt is universally flattering because it shows off a little skin while slimming and accentuating the waist. Pair these tops with a statement necklace for added drama and never tuck

* Wear: Dark denim wide-leg trousers. A pair of sleek, wide-leg jeans is the ultimate closet staple, ideal for both a day at the office or a night out. “The dark wash creates a finished look and elongates the leg,” Goodman says. Beware: Dark denim has less stretch so prepare to size up for the perfect fit.

* Toss: High-waisted bell bottom pants. If your cuffs are so wide they distractingly swoosh when you walk, it’s time to retire them as a 70’s memory.

* Wear: The long cardigan. Long cardis in a medium-weight fabric complement almost any body type. Goodman recommends pairing one with a skinny belt and a button-up shirt for work, or wearing unbuttoned with a funky hipster belt for weekend.

* Toss: The thin cardigan with a wide belt. You’ll look dowdy. Save wider belts for thicker fabrics, like knits.

* Wear: The vintage-inspired watch. In your accessories drawers, a classic timepiece is key. “You’ll always look polished with a timeless ladylike watch,” states Goodman. “American watch brand Timex offers a variety of watches for a steal, and the Timex Originals collection features new takes on classic designs from previous decades.”

* Toss: Singular chain and bent wire bracelets. Step out with multiple bangles stacked instead.

*Wear: The A-line dress. A classic A-line cut is an instant hip minimizer and must-have staple. Goodman advises pairing this save-me with knee-high boots or a kitten heel to showcase a woman’s legs.

For more style tips from author Amy E. Goodman, visit www.TimexStylewatch.com.