Tips for saving money on your holiday shopping

Many American families are looking for ways to save money this holiday season while putting gifts under the tree. While using coupons can help shoppers keep more money in their pockets, there are several other simple ways consumers can significantly reduce their shopping bills.

* Earn cash back through online shopping. Online shopping is on the rise. It’s convenient and eliminates the time and gas needed for a trip to local stores. One of the best ways to save when you shop online is to sign up for a free account with a cash back shopping website. ShopAtHome.com is the largest, and it lets you earn cash back on every purchase you make at your favorite online retailers. For instance, the site offers 5 percent cash back when you shop at Target.com and 8 percent cash back at Sephora.com. To earn cash back, you simply visit ShopAtHome.com and then click through to your favorite store and shop like you normally do online. When you’ve earned $20 in cash back, the site mails you a check.

* Use online coupon codes, including free shipping offers. Retailers distribute thousands of online coupon codes each year. Some offer a percentage discount on your purchase while others offer free shipping on your order. According to a recent survey by Shop.org, four out of five online retailers will offer free shipping at some point during this holiday season. You can find a complete list of free shipping coupons online at ShopAtHome.com. Best of all, you can combine using coupon and free shipping codes with earning cash back on your purchases.

* Shop during sales to multiply your savings. Most retailers hold sales during the holidays. Black Friday and Cyber Monday are typically the best days to find items at marked down prices. Some consumers save up to 60 to 75 percent by combining coupon codes and earning cash back during a major sales event.

* Visit a price comparison site before you buy. Sites like NexTag.com, BizRate.com or PriceGrabber.com will identify the top three stores offering the best deal on an item taking into account the price, shipping and taxes. To maximize your savings, visit one of these sites, select two of the most competitively-priced stores, and then look for coupon codes and see which store offers the most cash back when you buy online.

* Sign up to receive freebies, which make great stocking stuffers. Many companies give away samples of their products as a way to promote those items. From cosmetics to food to pet treats, you can find many free product offers online and simply request one be sent to you. Free samples are usually mailed to you with no fee or shipping charge, making the item entirely free to receive.