Grandparents: How to reconnect with your grandchildren during spring break

Calling all grandparents. What are your plans for spring break? Have you thought about planning a vacation with your grandchildren?

Time passes by quickly, and children currently in elementary school won’t be there for much longer. It can be tough for grandparents to connect with their grandchildren, especially if you don’t live in the same community.

One way to help bridge the divide is by traveling with your grandchildren. Intergeneration travel is on the rise, the Travel Industry Association of America reports. Popular spring break vacations include cruises, trips to Mexico or the Caribbean.

If you need help planning, plenty of travel groups or agencies offer vacation ideas for families of all ages. One place is Elderhostel, an organization that has been planning educational trips for seniors and now plans intergenerational tours to both domestic and international locations.

If a trip with your grandkids isn’t in the cards, then maybe you could bring them to you. This could be a particularly attractive offer if you live in warmer climates like Florida, Arizona or California. The warm climate would still afford the opportunities to get out and sit by the pool or on the beach to get some sun. You’ll probably be able to create excellent stories for your grandchildren to take back to school and share with their friends.

A spring break vacation with the grandkids is a win win situation for everyone. It brings about the best opportunity for you to spoil them, while enriching their education at the same time.