Men’s basketball is really looking up this season

This season, the men’s basketball team seems to be looking up,

literally.

Last year’s big man Thomas Coleman, had a big role on the team

being the most prominent man in the middle. But this season is a

whole different story for the Aggies basketball team.

This season, the men’s basketball team seems to be looking up, literally.

Last year’s big man Thomas Coleman, had a big role on the team being the most prominent man in the middle. But this season is a whole different story for the Aggies basketball team.

Head coach Jerry Eaves has brought in four new standout players.

“We are going to have to fight like teeth and nails in the paint.” Coach Eaves said this about this upcoming season. But it doesn’t seem like they are going to have to fight too much, considering that the four new standouts they brought in are 6’6″ or taller.

Anthony Estes, standing at 6’6″, is packed with a great jump-shot along with his height. He is what the Eaves calls, “physical by nature and loves to bang bodies.”

“I don’t think there is another team that is as athletic as us that can really match up with us. I don’t think any team in our conference can,” said Estes confidentally.

It doesn’t stop with Estes though. Waylan Siverand (6’7″) is considered by Coach Eaves as one of the best he has ever recruited shooting and jumping wise. He not only performs on the basketball court, but he performs well in the classroom too. Siverand graduated from high school with 3.6 grade-point average.

Junior Jordan Herrera (6’6″) is an awesome defender and offensive rebounder. Like Estes, he too likes to get physical. He isn’t afraid to go to the basket and rebound with the big boys and try to attract body contact. At his previous school, Cloud Community College, he averaged 11 points a game along with 5 rebounds per game.

Jacob Carson, (6’9 1/2″) is another player to look for, just not now. Due to an ankle injury from high school, Carson will be red shirted.

Picking up where Carson cannot will be upperclassmen Jean Louisme and Nic Simpson who will have to open up the floor.

As long as these guys can step up and show direction, Kam Shepard, can do the rest. Eaves mentioned that five years ago he had the best team and this season, the team will be playing like the team from five years ago.

With the starting line up still incomplete, one spot is still up for grabs.

The team will play its first game at Creighton college Nov. 11.

“I will be trying to stir the ship at the right speed and right pace but, at the same time, as John Wood would say, in their mind’s eye they will understand and get it and the team will evolve as they mature,”Coach Eaves said.

[email protected] and follow us on Twitter @ATRegister

• Kimberly Fields, Contributor