Stop the Violence walk draws crowd for second year

On Jan. 25, Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc. held its 2nd Annual Dennis Hayle Stop the Violence Walk, celebrating the life of Dennis Hayle and other fallen Aggies while spreading awareness of violence on and off campus.

The walk was in honor of Dennis Stewart Hayle, a senior political science and criminal justice major from Hempstead, NY. Hayle was shot outside his apartment on Sunday, January 25, 2009. He was 22-years-old. Police have not made an arrest and are offering a reward of up to $12,000 to anyone who can help. He was also a spring 2008 initiate into the Mu Psi Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc.

Students, teachers and alumni met at the steps of Murphy Hall at 12:05 p.m. The Mu Psi chapter headed the walk, while everyone behind them lined up two by two.

“I didn’t know him, but I’m here for the movement,” said Marcus Davis, a junior food nutritional science major from Ontario, CA. “I was here when he was killed, and I saw how it affected people on campus, so that’s why I came today. I also come because I see what a difference this is making on campus. Now that they close the gates, I feel safer and it’s partly because of this walk.”

The walk started at Murphy, went through the Village and ended at the Memorial Student Union. Flyers from Crime Stoppers about Hayle’s case were also distributed to students on campus.

When the walk ended, everyone was led into Stallings Ballroom. Lights were dimmed, jazz music was played, and pictures of Hayle and his fraternity brothers were shown on the projector. The program began with Javon Skinner telling the audience why they were there. “We are not here for Dennis. We are here for all the Aggies who fell victim to violence. We need to send the message that violence is not the answer.”

A spoken word artist and two singers followed the introduction. Shelton Morgan, another line brother of Hayle, described Hayle for the people who didn’t know him.

“He was a real, kind-hearted man. He always has a smile on his face with his dimples.”

Hayle’s family was supposed to come, but experienced another loss in their family. His mother sent a message that was read aloud, thanking everyone for their support.

Afterwards, Officer Glenn from the University Police Department  (UPD) came and spoke about on and off campus safety, stopping the violence, and the importance of the UPD.

Lastly, closing remarks were made stressing the importance of bringing more people next year and making sure violence doesn’t happen on campus again.

Skinner, a graduate student majoring in industrial technology from North Carolina, was in charge of organizing the walk. He is also a member of Omega Psi Phi and Hayle’s line brother.

“I talked to my line brothers two years ago about putting this together and everyone thought it was a good idea,” said Skinner. “We would have had a better turn out like last year, but because of our status, people weren’t aware. This was still a good turn out and we hope that next year will be better.”

The hope is for Hayle to always be remembered by his Aggie Family.

“I met Dennis after he crossed,” said Sandra Bratcher, an alumni from Raeford, NC, and a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. “We both were in the Pan Hellenic Council together and he always was smiling. When I heard about his death, my sisters and I just wanted to support his line brothers. I’m happy to see everyone supporting them today.”

• Necole Jackson