Official visits A&T ; hails GI bill

For the veterans of American wars, receiving a quality college education from their country has always been a token of gratitude from their country since the inception of the GI Bill. With the new Post 9/11 GI Bill, enacted into law last year, veterans will be able to benefit even more from the overhaul of the bill.

On Thursday, Sept. 24, North Carolina A&T had the distinction of hosting the Assistant Secretary for Operations, Security, and Preparedness for the Department of Veteran Affaiars Jose D. Roijas, who made the announcement live from the Alumni Foundation Event Center.

A&T provides an education to the largest number of veterans of any historically black college or university in the nation.

The new benefits of the Post 9/11 GI Bill will maximize the benefits eligible to every veteran, service member, reservist, and National Guard member an opportunity to receive an in-state, undergraduate education at a public institution at no cost.

Department of Veterans Affairs estimates that over 250,000 veterans across America will attend college under this new entitlement within its first two years.

Addressing a room of about 75 people, Roijas commended the University for its commitment to the GI Bill and its successful implementation on campus.

“It is clear that this institution has had a clear commitment to serving veterans,” Roijas said.

“This is about welcoming a new class of veterans into the halls of Academia. Make it count.”

Individuals who serve at least 90 days of total service after Sept. 11, 2001 are eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill. To be eligible for 100 percent of the benefits, an individual must have served a total of 36 months active duty service, or have been discharged for a service-connected disability after 30 days of continuous service.

“Veterans have an amazing opportunity to get a quality education,” Harold L. Martin, Chancellor of A&T, said.

“We are very excited about the potential this program has.”

For more information on the new VA GI Bill, visit their website at www.gibill.va.gov, or call toll free 1-888-GIBILL-1 (188-442-4551).

• Dexter Mullins