Adults need vaccinations to help stay healthy and in the game

(ARA) – When it comes to adult health and wellness, working out and eating well are just part of the picture. Being up to date on recommended vaccines is also important. Unfortunately, many American adults are not up to date on their vaccinations.

“As an infectious disease specialist, it’s alarming to me that only a small percentage of adults have actually received the recommended vaccines,” said Dr. Brad Moore, Fellow of the American College of Physicians and associate professor of medicine and of health policy at The George Washington University Medical Faculty Associates. “Both patients and physicians should discuss the vaccinations that they need to help reduce their risk of catching vaccine-preventable diseases.”

Health experts recommend several vaccines for adults to help prevent serious diseases, including whooping cough and the flu. Although adults may have been immunized against some diseases as kids, protection provided by some vaccines can wear off over time, leaving adults and those around them at risk. In addition, adults may need to catch up on vaccinations that they missed or that were not available when they were younger.

To help prevent adults from being sidelined by vaccine-preventable diseases, Dr. Moore and soccer champion Mia Hamm are working together to remind adults about the importance of adult vaccinations in a well-rounded plan for healthy living.

“Being up-to-date on vaccinations is an important defensive tool that can help protect yourself and your family against serious diseases,” said Mia Hamm, who is also the mother of three-year-old twins. “Be sure to ask about the shots you need during check-ups or when getting your flu shot this year.”

Find out which vaccines are recommended for adults

Be sure to ask your healthcare provider about the vaccines on this checklist. For tips on staying well and other information on adult vaccinations, visit www.GiveYourHealthAShot.com.

Vaccines recommended for adults

* Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis)

* Influenza (flu)

* Hepatitis A

* Hepatitis B

* Human papillomavirus (HPV)

* Varicella (chickenpox)

* Zoster (shingles)

* MMR (measles, mumps, rubella)

* Meningococcal

* Pneumococcal

Some vaccines are recommended for all adults while others may be needed based on age, gender or other risk factors. Talk to your healthcare professional about the vaccines that are right for you.

Mia Hamm and Dr. Brad Moore were compensated by GlaxoSmithKline for their participation in this educational program.