Classic Europe vacations – and how to get the experience closer to home

If you’re looking to get away for a while and are having trouble figuring out where to go, you can never go wrong with classic Europe vacations. If you’ve heard about all the landmarks of London, but never gone, or dream of visiting Bordeaux every time you open a bottle of wine, now’s the perfect time to make it happen.

If you’re still looking for ideas, here are a few classic European excursions that will never let you down:

Germany: For a true international cultural experience, book a trip to Munich for Oktoberfest. A 16 to 18 day festival from late September to early October, the Bavarian celebration attracts visitors from around the world to sample the region’s many unique takes on meats and sausages and enjoy beer derived from the purest and oldest brewing methods in the world. But if you go, make plans well in advance, as Munich hotels fill up fast to accommodate the 5 million annual visitors.

England: Finding things to do is never a problem in Europe’s largest city, London. During the day, visit all the sights you’ve seen in countless photographs, including Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament and Buckingham Palace, aboard a double-decker bus. At night, you can take your pick between heading to a Broadway play in the West End or catching a rock show at O2 Arena.

France: It doesn’t really get any better than Paris for urban sightseeing. Visitors to the Eiffel Tower are never let down, as it dominates the skyline. The Louvre and Notre Dame Cathedral stand as grand examples of architecture, history and culture. The city’s street cafes have a reputation for food and drink that is second to none.

If you can’t afford the big European vacation, don’t worry. Fortunately, many Canadian cities offer a taste of Europe closer to home:

Montreal: What’s the second largest French-speaking city in the world? Montreal. The city’s architecture has a heavy European influence, as you might imagine you are somewhere other than North America when viewing the Notre Dame Basilica or Montreal City Hall.

Toronto: The city has long been a destination for immigrants coming to Canada, which has caused it to become one of the most international cities in the world. Almost half its residents were born outside of Canada. The international natural landmark Niagara Falls sits only hours away and abundant Niagara Falls hotels offer travelers the opportunity to rest their heads after a day of taking in the enormous cascades on the way to or from Toronto.

Quebec City: As one of the oldest cities in North America, Quebec bears its French roots with honor, with the majority of residents speaking French as their primary language. The grand Chateau Frontenac stands as a unique and dominating landmark and the narrow shop-lined streets of Lower Town will leave you wondering whether you’ve been transported to one of France’s major cities.