RocNation’s newest talent

Range Charles, an upcoming artist for the StarRoc/RocNation label, has made a big impact in the music industry as a singer, songwriter, and producer.

After writing with Grammy award winning team, Stargate, Range was signed to the label.

He has written hit singles, “One More Drink,” by Ludacris, “Cover Girl,” by Jamie Foxx, and “Download,” by T-Pain. Range supposed to have a listening party yesterday in Exhibit Hall but due to unexpected events on the label side, the listening party was cancelled.

Range, a Connecticut native has been affiliated with music his entire life.

“I’ve been into music since I was a kid,” he stated.

At a young age, his mother influenced Range musically.

“My mother is schoolteacher, who also was the choir director at our church. My mom played cello and sang, so I guess I got that from her,” he says.

With Range getting more into the music industry, he realizes that he is living out his mother’s dream because she loves music and wants to sing.

Range is not all about music, before he actually got signed to the StarRoc/RocNation label, he went to Southern Connecticut State University in New Haven, CT where he got a degree in business administration and a bachelors in science.

“I wanted to graduate for my parents,” says Range.

His mother gave him a musical side while his father taught him the business side with owning a nursing home in Georgia.

“I was still doing my music daily, but I was also aware that a degree could come in handy,” he said.

You would think Range gets inspiration from artist such as Lil Wayne or Drake, but Range actually is a big fan of old school artists R. Kelly, New Edition, Bobby Brown and the late Elvis Presley.

“I’ve always been a fan in music in general and I watch youtube videos of Elvis and watched how he handled his audience.

The way I’m singing is the kind of way a 2010 Elvis would sound like,” Range stated.

His creative process when writing or making a beat comes from personal experiences in life.

“A lot of songs and melodies that I write and even the beat comes from life,” Range states. With learning a broad range of  instruments such as the saxophone, piano, and as of now, the guitar.

Range wants to learn different areas of music and become an all around musician.

Along with writing songs for other artists, Range is preparing material for his StarRoc/RocNation debut album, “No Strings,” with collaborations with Rick Ross and J. Cole.

Also, Range is promoting his first single, “Ghetto Dance” off his debut album.

Want to show your support? Follow Range on twitter at @ItsRange.

• Jonathan Veal & Noma Vilane