How to stay comfortable during pregnancy

(ARA) – Pregnancy is an amazing time in life. The thrilling changes of your growing baby bump are an endless source of fascination. But there are some aches and pains that come along with the excitement of pregnancy. Here are a few suggestions to relieve some of the most common issues you can expect when you’re expecting.

Boogie with the bump

Being pregnant can make exercise more fun, and the desire to exercise simply because it’s healthy for your baby can be freeing. And staying fit is key to easing pregnancy symptoms like poor circulation and insomnia. Check with your doctor before starting any fitness program; generally mild cardio and prenatal yoga are considered safe for expecting moms.

Get a body pillow

As your belly swells, lying down becomes less comfortable. Ease the strain on your body with a specially made pillow or wedge. A full body pillow, like the Boppy Total Body Pillow, provides head-to-toe comfort and supports the neck, belly and hips for a more restful night’s sleep.

Practice deep breathing

Not only is it relaxing, but deep breathing can also improve your body awareness and teach you to control your breath – especially helpful when it comes to labor. Practice by sitting up straight and placing your hands on your belly. Feel it rise and fall as you inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth.

Get a prenatal massage

Many massage therapists are trained to cater to the back pain and other special needs of expecting moms. In addition to relieving aches and pains, a good prenatal massage can help with circulation and insomnia. Best of all, it can leave you feeling relaxed with a renewed sense of well-being.

Wear comfortable shoes

About three quarters of pregnant women will experience edema, or mild swelling in the feet and ankles. While it’s typically not a cause for concern, it can be a source of discomfort, especially if you’re on your feet a good portion of the day. Leave your sexy slingbacks in the closet for now and opt for easy-to-wear footwear when you’re out. Once you get home, switch to a pair of comfy slippers.

Staying comfortable is key to helping your body grow a healthy baby. Make sure to take time each day to relax and enjoy your body and its incredible abilities.