What to ask while looking for a new apartment

What do you look for when you’re apartment hunting? Obviously you want enough space to keep all your stuff in a location that’s desirable and safe. But there are some issues you won’t know just by looking at a place online or in a renters guide which will require deeper investigation.

There are several types of questions to ask your potential landlord when you are apartment moving: maintenance, business issues, community affairs, parking and safety.

What are the landlord responsibilities?

Every building is different, so the arrangements at a previous residence may not be the same in a new one. If you are responsible for repairs or paying for utilities, it may make your first choice completely undesirable.

Where can I park?

As anyone who lives in a big city knows, having a place to park your car can be the tipping point for any apartment. When you’re apartment hunting, having a lot or parking garage as part of the building is an enticing asset. If parking isn’t included, the length of the walk from the nearest parking to the apartment will be a huge discussion point when it comes to deciding on your next residence.

What’s crime like in the neighborhood?

Don’t forget that landlords may be trying to sell you on their apartment, so it’s best to get in touch with the police to get information on area crime. Full statistics on any situations that have happened in the area are available from the police.

Remember to stay in charge

When looking for a place to live, ask as many questions of the landlord or property manager as you can. There’s no need to act hastily. There are always other apartments, so don’t be afraid to move on if you aren’t comfortable with what you’re being told.